Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows ME freezes all the time

• Please log in to reply

UNJUSTin

UNJUSTin

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, I have an old compaq computer running on ME and it wont stop freezing. I can get maybe 10-20 minutes in at best before it freezes up. Sometimes it freezes up before it can fully start up. I have tried to defrag/scan disk but it freezes before they can finish. This all happened randomly, it was running fine for a while and it just started freezing up on me all of the sudden, it didnt slowly get worse, it when from right fine to horrible (from what I could tell). I havent installed any new hardware/software recently. I just moved this computer into my room a few months ago, and installed a new lan card and I installed bitcomet. I dont think that has anything to do with it though, sence it was months ago.

Nothing on this computer is important to me, I use it to surf the internet in my room. Now it is completely unusable, and if anyone has no idea how to fix it, is there an easy way to totally reformat it?

Thanks.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Windows ME is quite good at doing this on its own :whistling:

This is almost always a sign of faulty hardware - grab a copy of MemTest86 and leave it running for a while.

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts

I installed bitcomet

have you been downloading anything since installing this ? may account for some of the problems have you tried an online virus scan ?

Give this a run and let us know if it comes back with anything

Please go HERE to run Panda's ActiveScan
  • Once you are on the Panda site click the Scan your PC button
  • A new window will open...click the Check Now button
  • Enter your Country
  • Enter your State/Province
  • Enter your e-mail address and click send
  • Select either Home User or Company
  • Click the big Scan Now button
  • If it wants to install an ActiveX component allow it
  • It will start downloading the files it requires for the scan (Note: It may take a couple of minutes)
  • When download is complete, click on My Computer to start the scan
  • When the scan completes, if anything malicious is detected, click the See Report button, then Save Report and save it to a convenient location. Post the contents of the ActiveScan report

angelaanaconda

angelaanaconda

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Try uninstalling any virus protection that you have and see if that is the problem. I have a compaq with Me as well and the minute I unistalled my virusscan it ran way faster and didn't freeze up. I went to another virusscan thinking it would be better but the minute I installed it, the computer slowed down. I know that a virus protector is needed so I am not sure which one will work the best. I have tried Mcafee and avast and both have done the same thing. Hope this helps.