Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD-R not running on Toshiba

• Please log in to reply

Verbannen

Verbannen

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hello

Okay, I have a Toshiba Satellite and for some reason, the Fujifilm DVD-Rs will not work on my computer. As, my computer doesnt seem to recognize them. It makes all sorts of add noises repetitively then says there is nothing in the drive when I try to view what is on it. The drive is DVD/CD Recordable, yet it pretends as though this disk is from [bleep]. And it isn't just one of them, its 5 of the 25. They were brand new and they won't work. Why?

Thanks

Advertisements

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Hi Verbannen,

Some DVD drives don't like certain media, and some media don't like certain drives. It has to do with the depth to which the laser burns on the drive compared to what depth the optical medium is designed to be burnt to. So you' ll find certain mismatches that just won't be happy bedpartners.

That said it is hard to know what the specific problem is in your case. Can you give a little more history?

Did you burn all the DVDs on this laptop drive or on another computer?

Do the '5 of the 25' work in any other DVD drives (on other computers)?

It is quite possible that the offending gang of 5 are corrupted. This depends on the speed they were burnt at (faster = more errors), how compatible the drive and medium are, the state of the drive writing on it, and finally some DVDs are drinks coasters before they ever get inserted in a drive.

If you knew all this already - I'm not trying to talk down to you, by any means. But to find the source of the problem you'll have to go through a process of elimination.

Try to establish that the disks themselves aren't the problem, and then we can look at the drive in your laptop.

I have found Verbatim DVD-R to be reliable and they usually rate top in reviews. Recently Verbatim's DVD+R 16x got the best score, the only bummer being my Toshiba lappy doesn't do DVD+R, being an older beast.

Digikiwi

Edited by digikiwi, 25 June 2006 - 04:02 AM.

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Check the laptop manufacturer for firmware updates to the optical drive. Often the optical drive maker will issue an update to provide more disc types compatibility.

You might check with the optical drive manufacturer directly. You can usually get the drive manufacturer and model from the Hardware Manager. If you can't figure it out from that then run Everest Home and look in the section Storage > Windows Storage for the make, model and current firmware revision.

The sad part about media incompatibility is that the industry wants to come out with HD DVD optical drives and disks before they clean up the present DVD situation.

One other suggestion: try cleaning the drive's lens with an inexpensive lens cleaning kit from a computer store or large retailer.