Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problem with custom built computer

• Please log in to reply

kewofkrew

kewofkrew

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Alright, I built my girlfriend a computer. It has worked for almost a year now. She has a wireless network (D-link). She played Final Fantasy XI for awhile. But last week one day all of a sudden she got disconected. Now she can't get on the internet at all. Now it still says it is connected to the router, has a signal, but no internet. It works on the main computer, but not on hers. Its not the adapter because I used mine on hers and still nothing. I even set her computer up on my network at my house, still nothing. I even plugged it strait to my cable modem and it did not work. So.. I decide to go to the RUN command, I type in CMD for command prompt... Now here is what puzzles me. I get an error message:

16 bit MS-DOS subsystem
C:\Windows/system 32\cmd.exec
The NTVDM Cpu has encountered an illegal instruction
CS: 054c IP: 9c3f OP: 0f 04 00 10 04
Choose 'close' to terminate the application

Now for the really wierd part, I goto start/all programs/ accesories/command prompt: it works. RUN/CMD however does not...
I tried to use my windows disc to "Repair Windows", so far it did not work. Ran a CHKDSK that did not work. So its not Windows or D-link. Could it be hardware problems perhaps? I don't want to replace everything and waste money if thats the case, but which piece of hardware could it be?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
You can try a few easy things.

First, create a file named winsock.bat. Copy and paste the following (the text between the lines) to it and then run it:
--------------------
netsh winsock reset catalog
pause

netsh int reset all
pause

ipconfig /flushdns
pause
--------------------
Press Enter after each pause. Now try to connect -- open Internet Explorer.

If that doesn't work, download and run WinsockxpFix. Restart and then try to connect.

kewofkrew

kewofkrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you so much for replying so very quickly. I tried using the sfc /scannow and that did not work. I did use the WinsockxpFix on her computer and I must say I am very impressed. It fixed the problem. I called D-link support and they told me it was hardware problems, Im glad I came here instead. Thank you.

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Thanks for letting everyone know.