Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue screen of death :XP reinstall

• Please log in to reply

davidtuck

davidtuck

• Pip
  • 4 posts
HI,

I have a blue screen of death [0x0000007e] . I can still boot into safety mode but system restore doesn't work. I've had the hardware checked out in a shop .The drive, memory,CPU all fine.

I've run anti virus, spyware and registry fix progammes but to no avail.

So I have a couple of questions:

A] Before the reinstall can I try anything else ?
B] I have two drives one is a 40 gig which was windows on it , and a second 120 gig I use for storage.
Can I disconnect the storage drive during the reinstall to remove the risk of data loss. Or will this effect the new XP ? I'm not expecting the programmes on there to still work, I just have about 70 gigs of professional pictures I don't want to loose.

C] Can I replace the c drive with a new blank one , and then add XP to that ,then plug the other drive back into it ?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you get this to run on the PC

http://www.softwarep...-error-aec.html

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
You said you had a couple (2) of questions, but you listed 3, so I'll have to charge you for answering the third one.

Try running a disk check from a command line: chkdsk C: /f /r
When informed that that you must restart to run it then do so.

If you have or can get an XP installation disc of the same XP type (Home or Pro) you can try running this command: Start > Run > sfc /scannow <Enter>. Have the XP disc in the drive.

You can also try to do a Repair Install if you also have the registration key.

You didn't say why System Restore doesn't work. If it's because it doesn't run properly than navigate to the directory \Windows\inf\ and right-click on the file sr.inf and select Install. Restart and try to run System Restore again.
----
Yes, go ahead and disconnect your storage drive. This will make it absolutely impossible to install XP anywhere on that drive.
----
Now for the money question: What do you mean by "then plug the other drive back into it ?". If you mean plug the old drive back into the system, then, sure you can plug it back in, but don't expect it to boot off it any better than it does right now.

davidtuck

davidtuck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for replying.

Ok , I can't use the patch becuase I didn't install service pack 2. I run Adobe Premiere 6 and apparently the two don't mix.

Tried the disc check command, but when it restarted just went to the blue screen again.

Should I have gone to safety mode to check something ?

System restore does what it normally does but at the end it says 'System restore failed to restore to your choosen date' or words to that affect.

I have the discs and will do the repair install, but I remember the many long evenings installing software and drivers, then removing the software and reinstalling the drivers in a different order, then downloading the updates to make various programmes finally work.

I got the blue screen after changing my firewall from Zone alarms to Symantic then back again. I presume I buggered the software I hoped I wouldn't have to start from scratch.

Thanks again David

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click run it now

http://service1.syma...n...v=&osv_lvl=

Is it the free version of Zone Alarm

davidtuck

davidtuck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes, it is the free version of Zone Alarms. But the PC with the problem won't go online so I can't do the norton uninstall. if I open it in safety mode with networking, it thinks about it for a while then goes to the blue screen.

I think I've resided myself to the fact that it's a repair reinstall that's needed and I have started backing stuff up on dvd.

Thanks for trying to help though

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the start button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need the XP product key to complete this

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

XP Repair Install

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

You may want to try this before the repair

Download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible

Using Memtest

davidtuck

davidtuck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ok, sadly the story continues.

It appears after opneing the packet I don't have XP disc's but instead the eMachines recovery dics' .

I put one in, after backing up some of my stuff, and it went to a dos page.
Microsoft Windows start up

1.restore windows xp
2.boot to command promt from cd

I tried the first warn but get a warning it's about to wipe my c drive.
I tried the second and it says 'Verifying system' and a dos prompt comes up for the a:drive.

It didn't go to the really useful page I wanted, giving me the option to repair rather than restore. Do these disks have it ?

Is it bite the bullet time ?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It's unlikely, the best thing is to ask e-machines what the discs you have can do