Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Invalid Menu Handle

• Please log in to reply

merlinmac

merlinmac

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hi, just recently I have been getting the error "Invalid Menu Handle" when opening and downloading a .wmv file from my msn mail. the file should be directed into the Temporary Internet Files. I did download limewire about a month ago. Could this be the problem? if it or isnt some help please from someone who had this and fixed the problem would be great! :whistling:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what I think this means is that there is a problem with the association that allows programs to open files by the files extension. It is not the program, but a little registry glitch

Fixing these things can be a pain in the butt

This is probably the easist way to do it

Download the following.

http://www.gustosoft...divx-player.htm

Install.

Find any wmv file and right click it and choose OPEN WITH > CHOOSE PROGRAM, and navigate to C:\Program Files\GustoSoft\Ace DivX Player and select the executable and also check the "Always use select program...." box

The file will open in the program.

Close the program. Now right click the same file OPEN WITH > CHOOSE PROGRAM, but this time choose Windows Media Player in the box and again check the "Always use select program...." box

This will recreate the .wmv registry entry to open in Windows Media Player.

My guess is Limewire may have tried to register wmv files in its built in media player

Unfortunatelly, .wmv is built into Windows so you can not delete, hence the reason for downloading the third party app (which is very nice, btw). You need to either directly edit the registry (harder), or perform the above to overwrite the bad setting

merlinmac

merlinmac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thnx gerryf... downloaded divx player a few days before i got ur msg and did what u had suggested in ur msg and it worked. thnx anyway tho ;o)