Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Memory Config

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just built my first system, so far so good. For memory I used Corsair XMS DDR 400 with Cas Latency 2, Timing 2-3-3-6.

In the BIOS for the ASUS A8N-SLI board it set the DRAM config to AUTO and set the memclock to 333. Should I manually change this to 400? Also there are inputs for Tcl, Tras, Trcd, Trp, Trc, Trfc, Trwt, Twr, 1T/2T memory timing. What are these?

This is all new to me. Any ideas on how to better config the memory? I just delved further into the ASUS website and found a statement that the motherboard will default to 333Mhz when all 4 slots are used. It claims this is for reliability sake, and you can change it if you wish.

So now I just need to figure out what to put for Tcl, Tras, Trcd, Trp, Trc, Trfc, Trwt, Twr,and 1T/2T memory timing.

Any ideas?

Also is there any way to ensure the chipslots are getting the required 2.75V. Does this normally need to be adjusted?

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Heres a good explanation of the timings( and many other things most people don't want to think about).

I'm not absolutely sure but i think you can set the memory voltage separately on Asus Mb's. It's been a while since i've messed with a Asus.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
What processor have you put in your board? If you put an older one in that only runs at 333, then hence that setting.

Quite a lot of motherboards don't like running at 400Mhz when you use all the slots, because you can usually put four 1Gb sticks in, and Windows doesn't exactly like you doing that at the moment.