Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

running anti virus and browser from USB flash drive

• Please log in to reply

chris-f

chris-f

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I want to plug my 2 GB USB flash drive in any computer (within reason) and run my browser and be able to scan and clean viruses and malware as well.

What browsers and virus programs would work like this?

I have XP Home.

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
Hey there chris-f, welcome to Geeks To Go.

Well you could use your flash card as a 2Gig external drive, this means you can load any browser and anti-virus on the flash drive. Just when you installing the browser (Firefox) and Anti-Virus (AVG, Norton, ZoneAlarm, ect.) you must change the install directory to the flash drive instead your normal system drive.

The negative thing about having your anti-virus on the flash, it can only be used on your computer (The system you loaded it onto). 2nd is that if you forget to plug your flash card into your computer at startup, you will get all kind of errors from windows telling it cant find the program.

I guess if you have a browser on the flash it will work at any computer and you dont always have to plug the flash in at startup (Recommend Firefox). But I would recommend NOT puting on a anti-virus. You could think of using Ad-Aware and Spybot Search And Destroy on your flash card instead of anti-virus as this doesn't need drivers and files outside its folder to run. Although, you can try installing AVG on to the flash, but I cannot be 100% of its going to work the way it should. If you need any more information, let me know.

Cool :whistling:

Patrick Wilmes

Patrick Wilmes

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
If I may ask what kind of flash drive are you using? If you are using a sandisk cruzer it should come with some pre-installed anti-virus software for you. That being said, Chris-f You can download Firefox or opera for a usb thumb drive. Sometimes after you install them you need to make sure that the computers network isn't highly firewalled. If it's behind a strong router and a strong firewall Firefox will not be able to access the internet due to the firewall blocking it. If you are looking for a free usb anti-virus program I would say avast or anything else that you can find that is free. I do want to add it that if you are going to use Firefox that you tell it to delete your private history in the browser when you are done. Also make sure you look at the computer and make sure none of your browsing history is left behind.

Edited by Patrick Wilmes, 23 February 2008 - 11:16 PM.