Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power Schemes

• Please log in to reply

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Ok pretty simple problem here in 'Power Options' in control panel under 'Power Schemes', there are no power schemes and randomly at whenever my computer feels like it my PC minitor will autoatically go into standby mode and I can't bring it back (tried everything, like turning off and back on again), I can't create any new power schemes and cant delete any or anything like that.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Go to line 204, second column, download the registry fix, and double click it to merge into your registry

http://www.kellys-ko...m/xp_tweaks.htm

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
OK thankyou I have merged it into the registry now and the schemes are back, I will tell you if I have any more problems.

Edited by CJIS, 26 June 2006 - 12:31 AM.

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
OK after fixing the power schemes problem and booting up my PC this morning I still have the same problem, my monitor just went to standby and will not go back to windows at all, until I manually restart the PC and then 9 out of 10 times it will do it again so I will restart again and then it normally works for hours on end and then just again will go into standby and then will require another reboot and another again.

This problem is realy starting to become fairly annoying and I really hope somebody can help me.

Edited by CJIS, 27 June 2006 - 12:36 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what kind of machine is this? It sounds like a hibenation issue

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Well it is a PC made by the company 'LIFE' but it is an ACPI uniprocessor PC with a MSI MS-6382 Mothorborad.

Edited by CJIS, 29 June 2006 - 01:55 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
so it is not a laptop?

In control panel > power options, is hibernate (last tab) enabled or disabled?

Desktop PCs are not intended to hibernate, and many bios are not compliant with the standards for hibernation.

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
No it isn't a laptop

The last Tab is UPS (which I do not have)

Hibernate was enabled but I have now disabled it and I will see if this makes a difference, thanks for your help

Edited by CJIS, 27 June 2006 - 11:33 AM.

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Ok it has done it again (My monitor going into standby), I have installed the beta 2 of Vista recently and have noticed it does not do this in Vista but only in XP.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ok, now in control panel > power management...set the monitor to NEVER for power down

also, is there a bios update for this motherboard?

Advertisements

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
The monitor was set to power down after 10 minutes so I disabled that and restarted my PC but the same thing happened and my BIOS is fully updated.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
in bios, under power management, for sleep state, you will have atleast two choices s1 or s3--whatever yours is currently set at switch it to the other

Also, Under power management, what do you have set: min, max or user? if min or max, what are your options under USEr

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Ok, in the BIOS under Power management it says nothing about sleep state and there is nothing that says min, max or user.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
:whistling:

I'm looking at that manual and it clearly shows that?

what version of the motherboard v1 or v2?

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
OK, in the BIOS these options are not there, I am not sure which version I have either, and after booting up my PC into Vista this morning I found that the monitor went into standby (in Vista). I had a flash animation running in the background and could still here the sound but could see nothing but a blank screen. This problem is becoming slightly annoying as every time it happens I have to restart my PC.

Edited by CJIS, 30 June 2006 - 01:30 AM.