Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

monitor shutting down

• Please log in to reply

Naz-T

Naz-T

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
evening all, i know theres a similar thread running somewhere but i didnt want to highjack, so.

im suffering at the min with my monitor shutting down due to loss of signal - ive changed the monitors so i know this is ok,

ive fitted a 700w psu so i know that its not a power issue (he thinks lol)

not sure what temps im running at , ive got speedfan and its showing 36 at the mo?
i have started running dual monitors from my card recently but this problem is older than this so...

anyone give me a starter for ten please?

system info dell dimension 4600i
intel 2793 mhz
1,024.00mb memory
graphics ati all in wonder x800 agp 256mb

Advertisements

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Have you made sure that the video cable connections are snug at both ends ?

Does your system crash when there is LOS (loss of signal) or does it restart ?

Naz-T

Naz-T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
hi all cables are snug, system crashes when more graphics based applications are run ie when i make it multitask or push its perfomrance harder
thanks for auto re-boot i have to swithch off and manually restart

Naz-T

Naz-T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
bump?

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
This sounds like an overheating or RAM problem rather than a video one. Does your motherboard have a temperature monitoring program ? If not, download and run Speedfan and keep an eye on the CPU temp while you load up on running apps. Also take note of the main power supply outputs 3.3V, 5V and 12V.

Memory is best checked by running Memtest86+. It comes as in ISO disc image file that must be burned to a CD using Nero, Roxio or the free CDBurnerXP. If you have more than one memory stick then runn Memtest on each stick in turn to isolate a/any bad one(s). This program boots from CD so have your BIOS boot device's order to have the optical drive before the hard drive.