Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External keyboard two characters from single keystroke

• Please log in to reply

chowdown

chowdown

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I found a Dell QuietKey at a garage sale (yes, I AM cheap) to use with my company laptop while working at home (Compaq N610, XP).

Works fine EXCEPT that when I press the "4" key on the Numpad, I get \4 (sometimes 4\, sometimes but rarely just "4"). Also, when the Numpad "1" is pressed it also toggles CapsLock!

This keyboard needed a good vacuuming, but when I dismantled it it looked VERY clean inside. I saw no evidence of debris causing a short circuit.

What are the most likely causes? Can't tell if liquid was ever spilled on it, no signs of physical abuse.

Could the chip inside the keyboard be corrupted?

Obviously this is noncritical, but I sure am curious. Thanks for taking time to read this...

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

Ok, I'm having a bit of a wild stab at this one (also known as an educated guess!)....

I suspect the issue isn't strictly with the keyboard itself. To test this theory you could try connecting it to a desktop system instead of a laptop & see if it behaves normally then.
If it does, then I suggest the problem is being caused by the fact that this a laptop & as such, wasn't designed to have a seperate numeric keypad (some laptops do provide a numeric keypad by using a group of alpha/character keys + numlock - if your laptops built in keyboard has a small number '3' on the 'L' key, then it has this facility also).

Also, some keyboard controllers do not support seperate operation of an internal & external numlock function (i.e both numlocks on the two keyboards).

Try fiddling with the numlock key on the built-in keyboard & the one of the external keyboard e.g one on & one off, both on, both off etc and see if that makes any difference

chowdown

chowdown

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks Samm for taking a shot at this...

I tried it on a separate desktop, and the "problem" moved to other keys! Num-4 and Num-1 were fine but t, y, [, and ] didn't work. It's junk as far as I'm concerned.

I appreciate your time.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hmmmm, sounds like the keyboard may have some weird wiring fault in that case!