Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

home network no longer accessible

• Please log in to reply

obsessed

obsessed

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Running Windows XP home, SP2 on desktop and laptop. Had a successful home network with file & printer sharing going. Printer access still works, but now all of a sudden, we can't access files from one computer to the other. I thought it may have had something to do with installing a new wireless card and Netgear Rangemax access point for the laptop, but when we tried hardwiring the laptop back up, we still can't access the files from either computer to the other (both directions). Both computers are set up with open access to files, and like I said, it was working perfectly at one time. I don't know what changed to cause the network to no longer be accessible. When I try to view workgroup computers, it tells me "Home not accessible" and goes into not having proper permissions, contact administrator, etc. I tried running the home network wizard again, but got an error message that setup couldn't be completed. Please help!

Advertisements

daniel_c

daniel_c

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
firewall? the firewall is on..the windows one......turn it off on all computers on the network...i then should work.

BobWerner

BobWerner

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Also sounds like one of the machines may have changed workgroups. Go into the main computer that you're trying to share out and see what the workgroup is. Make sure all the other computers are on the same workgroup or you will get this error message.

obsessed

obsessed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Well, I checked, and on both computers, it says "Home" is not accessible (which means they are both on the same workgroup, and the Windows Firewall was set to off. The only firewall I have on is ZoneAlarm and I put the ip range of all the workgroup computers into the trusted zone. Any other suggestions?

BobWerner

BobWerner

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Well, yes and no. Did you go into workgroups and look to see if they are the same. You may have one set to "home" and the other set to "workgroup" or something similar.

obsessed

obsessed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
How do you go into workgroups? Click on "View Workgroup Computers" while in My Network Places? Because that's where it won't let me get in.

daniel_c

daniel_c

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
did u try what i told you to? with the firewalls? allow printer and file sharing or just turn the firewalll off.

obsessed

obsessed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Yes, like I said a few posts up, Windows Firewall is off, ZA is set with ip range in trusted, file & printer sharing is on when I set up network.

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Hi Obsessed,
Since installing new hardware the ip address has changed for file sharing.
Zone Alarm is blocking the file sharing
internet access from either PC is OK?
Trusted zone has changed?
Check ip config and or release/renew
I no longer run ZA just winxp firewall with no problems

obsessed

obsessed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Thanks, Harald... you gave me a good clue. It turns out that since installing the wireless, the ip addresses are going into higher numbers now than my original range set in the ZoneAlarm. I increased the range and got back most of the function. I am surprised at your comment that you got rid of the ZA, though, and opted for the Windows Firewall. Most people I have read/spoken to favor ZA. I am almost up and running with the network now, but there is just one glitch. From one laptop, I can see but not access the other laptop name from the top. (Meaning that when I click on the laptop name, it doesn't give me access) but one of my network places within that laptop IS accessible. I did share the C drive, as before, and I checked all the ip addresses and they are within range of what I changed on the ZA. From the desktop, I don't have this problem, and from the laptop in question back to the first laptop, everything's fine. Any ideas?

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
The problem is for networking ZA free only works on 2 PCs the Pro version works on 3 or more.
The windows firewall is certainly adequate for blocking incoming intrusions but doesn't block outgoing which is only a problem if you are already compromised(trojans etc).
I have used the same antivirus for the last 12years(ca vet) and never had a virus on any machine.I sweep regularly with adaware/spybot so am pretty sure not using ZA,a product I do like,won't be an issue.
My router also has a firewall of sorts.

Is the Laptop with limited view the WiFi?
Does it behave the same hard wired?

The fact that it is the third pc makes me think ZA is still blocking .
Try with ZA removed.

obsessed

obsessed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Hi, yes one of the wifi laptops is doing that thing, but I think it behaves better hard wired. I didn't realize that the ZA free only works on 2 pcs. I thought that's only if you are connecting through one of the pcs, not having each connect directly to the internet. I guess I will have to study up more on this to decide whether to keep the ZA, upgrade to pro, or scrap it & stick with Windows Firewall. So many people who know more than I do scoff at anything microsoft & prefer other products. Thanks for the advice.

obsessed

obsessed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Ok, so here's an update. I upgraded to a trial of ZA pro on all of the computers. It recognized the network on all 3 pcs and I put the network in the trusted zone. It seems that sometimes I can access all the computers from all the other computers and sometimes I can't. Right now I can see all 3 in workgroup computers from my laptop, but cannot access anything on my husband's laptop from my laptop. I can access everything from the desktop (hard wired). I can access the desktop from both laptops. Just the other day, I COULD access one laptop from the other. Before I got the netgear wireless cards & access point, I never had a problem with any of this. The netgear people couldn't help me. I don't understand why this keeps changing back & forth. I thought it was something to do with the ip addresses, but since I already have the network subnet in the trusted zone, as well as the entire ip range, so why am I sometimes having a problem and sometimes not? All permissions were set when I set up the network on each computer. I am running out of ideas.

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
I had similar problems with ZA >Did notice under pro vers it automatically set single trusted zone (internet) to all computers.
This is different to free vers settings and i think this is what causes the hap-hazard way it allows/denies file access.
I have not had any experience with wireless cards, as yet,but think it may periodically switch ip addresses beyond set range.

Try posing the wi fi access question in forum seperately.

PS My network is still fine,windows firewall seems to be ok I sweep for spyware regularly and so far everything is no different to when i ran ZA.
She,who must be obeyed,doesn't complain anymore!!!