Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Getting ready for the install.

• Please log in to reply

RjBass

RjBass

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
I just got my Vista DVD yesterday and am planning on installing the 64 bit version on a new build that should be completed by Thursday (just waiting for my new hardware to arrive from Newegg). I cant wait to see what it does. From what I have read on here, it seems to boot slower and might have some driver issues.

Anyways wish me luck.

Advertisements

Andyman111

Andyman111

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I wish you luck and let us know how it does on your computer! :-)

RjBass

RjBass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Thanks, although I should be honest here. Im not installing it on a super fancy machine. Infact im actually doing this for my job so that we can get a feel of how well Vista installs and operates on a more mid range machine.

Basic machine specs are this:

AMD Sempron 2800+ Socket 754
1gig DDR 400 Memory
80 gig Western Digital Sata 2 HD
Onboard Nvida Graphics 128mb
PCI ATI 3D Rage II graphics card for dual moniter

I expect it will take a bit longer then normal to install with the slower processor, and am hopeing it will work with the 64bit version, but if I need to I will go with the 32bit.

Should be an intresting time to say the least.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It should work ok it wont be phenomenal, windows is designed and always has been to operate on the hardware of the day, one of the reasons windows 2000 lasted so long and is still heavily used is that companies didnt upgrade hardware to decent XP standards across the companies and stuck with 2000, many have just upgraded to XP and wont upgrade to vista immediately because much of the hardware doesnt support it, when all the hardware is of a certain standard they upgrade. Its a bit of a strange concept.

If you are doing an evaluation for a corporate setting i wouldnt do it with beta software wait until they at least get to release candidate stage, the vista now will be different from whats released for example the latest build 5456 has been apparently well improved from the last 5384 which most people have, and the way it installs and operates will probably change.

Thought i would mention it as its something to keep in mind.

RjBass

RjBass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Ya I've thought about that, but at the same time, it will be good to get my hands on Vista now so I can get familiar with it before its release. We have a couple customers who will want to get it and use it the day it drops, and prob not morethen a week after they install it will be when the phones start ringing with them wondering what to do.

The more I get to know it now the better off I will be once the real version comes out. And hopefully by then I will have two gigs of memory in this macine and an Athalon 3700+.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would wait till you get 5456 to do anything major its got a lot of little changes made to it after feedback from beta2 and as they say its the little things that make the big difference. Its install times are down to the half hour mark as well which is good.

RjBass

RjBass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Ok heres a good question for ya.

I HAD a gig of memory, but one of my 512 sticks just fried. I have a fast 256k replacement untill I get a new 512 or better stick. But for the moment i will only be running 768 megs. From what I have read so far about Vista, its using up to 700 megs.

I think this pretty much makes it unusable now right?

Ohhh and im not sure if I can really wait for the new build. I purchased the DVD since download times were so long. But I guess untill I get my new memory stick I have to wait.

Edited by RjBass, 26 June 2006 - 03:16 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
it will install and run with 512mb, so you could set it up now and add the rest later.

RjBass

RjBass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Ya im gonna have to. Im going to RMA to newegg the old sticks of memory and just throw in 2 x 256 meg sticks to hold me over till I get a couple new sticks to bring me back up to a full gig.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you might want to wait even further...an even newer version of vista was released to beta testers a couple days ago and I can tell you that it "feels" much zippier than the preview release MS made available to the general public.

MS will probably release another version to the public in the not too distant future

Advertisements

RjBass

RjBass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Well I went ahead with the install (its running through its install phase on my other machine as I write this) and already I have had an issue. I wanted to split my C: Sata drive into two partitions but Vista wouldnt give me the option to do that, nor would disk manager in XP. So I went ahead and installed it on another 80 gig drive (regular IDE).

Will I still get the dual boot option and will this be ok?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yes, and yes...the vista install will write a new boatloader/boot record on the sata drive, which will handle the initial boot and load a boot menu, but after the initial files are loaded, it switches to the ide drive for the rest of the install

RjBass

RjBass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Ya its working, err well sorta. It appears as though Nvidia has not made any suitable 64bit drivers for my machine yet and as such im without proper video, audio, and a proper chipset.

I think im going to format and install the 32bit version untill more drivers are made.

RjBass

RjBass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Well, Im sticking with the 64 bit for now but am having some driver issues.

I got my GeForce video driver installed and working, only problem is that it isnt compatable with my ATI 3D Rage II PCI card so dual monitos is out for now.

Also the Vista 64 bit codec for Realtek AC97 Audio doesnt seem to work properly. After the download it says its only compatable with win 95/98/2000/XP, even though on its site it says its the drivers that work with Vista 64bit.

Also D-Link doesnt seem to care that people are trying to get drivers for Vista 64bit as I called them last night looking for the proper drivers for my wireless network card and they said that no drivers were available nor would they be for some time. The guy actually told me that I should uninstall Vista and go back to XP if I would like to continue using my wireless network card. He then sent me a nice email later confirming that he solved my issue. What a nice guy.

So other then those issues im not having any problems with it. I would assume that the proper drivers wil be released soon enough.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
make sure you visit windows update with Vista...there are drivers that are not in the vista distribution that are added as MS makes them.

They are not always the fastest, best, but they do work.

For example, I got both a netgear wireless and realtek audio driver the other dayand neither manufacturer has any available