Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Clean XP Pro SP2 Install

• Please log in to reply

jollyr

jollyr

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I have already searched the forums but could not find a solution that seems to completely address my issues.

Currently have dual boot machine, Windows 98SE on the "C" drive (FAT32) and XP Pro SP2 on the "D" drive (NTFS). Want to get rid of 98SE and boot directly into XP.

Problem is that there are several user profiles in XP and want to preserve each one's desktop and all their data. (do not need to preserve anything on the 98SE drive) Am not sure how to do this.

After that will wipe out both drives, change the "D" to be the boot drive and do a clean install of XP. Will reinstall all prgrams then user data.

What's best way to do all of this?

Any advice or recommendations would be welcome!

JR

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
From smart computing magazine.

Back up before setup.
Regardless of which WinXP version you install, you need to make some preliminary preparations. Backing up your important data files is the first of those preparations. You should save any file that contains original data, including text documents, spreadsheets, databases, address books, financial records, digital photos, and digital videos. You also should back up your downloaded multimedia files (such as MP3 files) so that you don't have to download them again. You can restore all of the data back to the hard drive after you complete the WinXP installation.

Make a direct transfer.
In addition to a data backup, you can use a convenient tool on the WinXP installation CD-ROM to transfer your files and system settings from the old OS to your new OS.

To begin, insert the installation CD-ROM in the computer and wait for the Welcome dialog box to appear. Select the Perform Additional Tasks option and click the Transfer Files And Settings option. The resulting Files And Settings Transfer Wizard will walk you through the process of selecting the settings and files you want to preserve when you install WinXP. Specify where you want to store the files in the meantime (choose another partition, a network location, or a removable storage device) and then wait while the transfer takes place.

After you install WinXP, return to the Files And Settings Transfer Wizard and follow the instructions to restore the files and settings to your new OS (such as to the partition where you installed WinXP).

Now i have done this and the settings don't always work. People add backgrounds, screen savers, and many other files that are downloaded from the internet. Windows does not have these so you may not have the exact same settings you had until you install these files.

SRX660

jollyr

jollyr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I'm not sure the XP transfer wizard will work in the case of what I want to to.

Will be compeletely wiping both C: (20GB, FAT 32) and D: (80GB, NTFS) drives. C: is currently my boot disk (has Win98) Want to change D: to be the boot disk and do a clean XP install on it. Have a third drive (E: 30GB, NTFS) and will be using it to back up all my data.

I already have all document, media and other software files I want to keep backed up on E:

My question is how do I backup the files needed to restore all of the user profiles I currrently have on D:?

Thanks.

JR

Edited by jollyr, 26 June 2006 - 09:12 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Just making sure, but when you say 20MB, FAT 32, you actually mean 20GB. Same goes for when you say 80MB, NTFS and 30MB NTFS...

Fenor

jollyr

jollyr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Yes, the drive capacities are GB not MB. My bad. Am going to edit them now...

Thanks for pointing this out.

JR

jollyr

jollyr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
so...

Anyone have any ideas?

jollyr

jollyr

• Topic Starter