Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which graphics card is better?

• Please log in to reply

Doomed_to_a_pathetic_computer

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
I have a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 graphics card on my computer right now. This situation is hard to describe, but I'll try...

My one friend is getting rid of all of his computer stuff and he gave most of it to me and he gave the graphics card to my other friend. The graphics card is a ATI Radeon 9700 Pro and it uses an AGP slot, I think is what it is called. Well the other friend's computer doesn't have the proper slot for that graphics card while his computer has the proper slot for my FX 5200, and my computer has the proper slot for his ATI graphics card. He needs a better graphics card than the built in one so he can play more modern games, and I think that ATI is better than mine.

Should I trade for the ATI Radeon 9700 Pro or keep my NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200?

Advertisements

jab123

jab123

• Pip
  • 9 posts
yea go for the 9700 PRO

the 5200 is horrible, well if you don't play any PC games it probably isn't so bad, but for gamers its very bad and VERY outdated hardware.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
I play some PC games, but not many graphics intensive ones, ie Starcraft. So I'll get the ATI.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
I just realized something... I saw somewhere that the Radeon MAY NOT support Windows 98, which is what I use.

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
if u dont play any of the new games, there is absolutely no need for the 9700. i have a ATI 128 Rage Pro, and it runs starcraft, and all those older games fine, the only time my card began to become useless was...........1 1/2 years ago, then the tough games came in.

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
I'd still get the 9700 Pro if it is for free, what is wrong with a free upgrade? :whistling:

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Well, the only reason I don't play new games is because fewer companies support Windows 98.

And I don't think my friend was planning on giving it to me for free, I probably owe him for the Athlon XP 1800 CPU and motherboard and a lot of other stuff he gave me.

Edit: And I want to play some newer games like Halo, and other FPS games.

Edited by Doomed_to_a_pathetic_computer, 29 June 2006 - 04:24 PM.