Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

which updates win xp

• Please log in to reply

okeee

okeee

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I have installed win xp sp2. What updates should I install? Are there any updates I would better not install, because of errors with programs or such?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you should update all critical updates,

Speaking personally, and not for Geekstogo, there may be one possible exception -- windows genuine advantage notification.

This is part of the windows anti-piracy pacakge. If you were using a pirated version, it would nag you about becoming legitimate. If you own a legitimate copy, then it does nothing for you. It is not, but Microsoft's own definition, a "critical" update.

We take piracy very seriously here, and do not offer help to people with stolen software, but there is actually a detriment to having this software on your pc if it is legitimate--at present, it reports daily back to Microsoft.

Shortly after logon, WGA Notifications checks whether a newer settings file is available and downloads the file if one is found. The settings file provides Microsoft with the ability to update how often reminders are displayed, what is displayed, and to disable the program.

One could argue that if you are legitimate, what does it matter, and to an extent I agree--but it installs itself without notification (ironic name) and used the network without warning. Personally, I would have less of an issue if it only checked when you do updates, but I do not care for unauthorized network access.

I am fine with activation, and even some sort of challenge system regarding software updates (some argue denying critical updates to pirated software threatens legitimate Windows users, since compromised machines can attack/impact legitimate machines), but without full disclosure windows genuine advantage notification rubs me the wrong way and improperly uses my bandwith.

Finally, and this is something I do have a major problem with, is Microsoft itself considers this to be a beta program. I DO NOT install beta software on any critically important machines, and when I install beta software on a testbed, I do so knowingly and agree to be a beta tester.

There have been some reports of problems with this package, preventing updates even for clean, legal system. Most of those seem to have clearned up since the package was rolled out in May, but since the program remains in beta, it is something to watch out for.

Microsoft has used it's position to make us all beta testers and while I am a staunch advocate for Microsoft and its products, I object to this. They are working on new version for this right now to address privacy concerns...and maybe when they are finished, I will allow this on my machines, but for now, I am just really kind of leary of it -- we will see what they come up with.

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I do have a legal win xp cd, but I just don't want microsoft to scan the pc whenever they want. So this is called, windows genuine advantage notification, is this one of the updates? I could just skip this update and install all other updates?

Edited by okeee, 26 June 2006 - 07:12 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yes, but DO install Windows genuine advantage tool, or you cannot install any updates--this program is passive, it only works when you connect

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
except for not installing windows genuine advantage notification update, would it also be better to set automatically update to disable?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
if you do not disable it, wga notifcation will install itself

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
So except from windows genuine advantage notification update, there is no other spyware from microsoft, and I can install all updates, critical, non-critical, every update is safe?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that is what I said

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
How does Windows genuine advantage tool work actually, it only checks my pc whenever I want to update. Is this a program that will be installed on my pc, is it possible to uninstall it? I don't mind installing it again when I need to update.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Windows genuine advantage tool is different from the Windows genuine advantage notification tool

Leave it be--it is only used when doing updates

Advertisements

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Yes, I know about the difference, I'm just not very fond of any scanning program.
After activating win xp sp2 (legal), is it possible to not download both Windows genuine advantage tool and windows genuine advantage notification update and install critical updates only?

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

After activating win xp sp2 (legal), is it possible to not download both Windows genuine advantage tool and windows genuine advantage notification update and install critical updates only?

yes, but DO install Windows genuine advantage tool, or you cannot install any updates--this program is passive, it only works when you connect

I believe gerryf already answered your question. If you do custom install you can tell Windows updates to never download the Genuine Nagification Notification Tool. If you have accidentally downloaded it or are otherwise concerned then take a look at mublinder . Again as Gerryf stated, this is not in support of S/W piracy, but for people who have legitimate copies of Windows that for whatever reason have notfication creating problems for them.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
right, you have to do manual downloads to avoid it...

in addition to the bandwith issues, I am reading more and more issues with the notification on legitimate machines.

Now, since there are millions of windows machines, there are relatively few issues....but I am still not going to download the thing on my machine because it is not a critical update

People should be aware that there is some internet rumbling that NOT downloading the wga notification update may ultimately lead to windows NOT working.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=84

I find that very alarming. All of my Windows machines are legitimate, and I have not had a problem with activation, or wga up until now, but this is getting disturbing. When MS assumes we are all pirates, rather than coming up with a way to stop pirates, I think they are crossing a line

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
An interesting article on the subject can b e found in PCWorld magazine.

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

right, you have to do manual downloads to avoid it...

in addition to the bandwith issues, I am reading more and more issues with the notification on legitimate machines.

Now, since there are millions of windows machines, there are relatively few issues....but I am still not going to download the thing on my machine because it is not a critical update

People should be aware that there is some internet rumbling that NOT downloading the wga notification update may ultimately lead to windows NOT working.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=84

I find that very alarming. All of my Windows machines are legitimate, and I have not had a problem with activation, or wga up until now, but this is getting disturbing. When MS assumes we are all pirates, rather than coming up with a way to stop pirates, I think they are crossing a line

How do they plan to do that? There are also people without an internet connection, so they don't download updates.