Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

which updates win xp

• Please log in to reply

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
i don't know---at the moment, they do not even confirm they will do it.

If they don't do updates, of course, they won't have wga notify, though, will they.

Advertisements

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
so then they will punish everyone who actually validate.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I am not sure what the thinking is...is my legitimate copy of windows going to become less legitimate when it phone's home next week?

It's a stupid idea. I canm understand if you have an illegitimate copy, and it phones home, continues to to nag you, and then ultimately shuts off an illegal copy, but if notify finds you are legal, it should simply disable itself. It's a stupid idea.

Meanwhile, MS is also going to start implementing something with thier volume license editions, too, where the OS will need to be validated at install and every 30 days after (they want to make sure corporations don't install these OSs on 500 machines when they only have a license for 300,

I guess 3.5 billion profit in 2005 wasn't enough....

I love Microsoft products, I really do, but they are going to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs if they keep making life miserable for honest users. Everything they have done has perhaps stopped the casual pirating, but has also made life more difficult for honest customers.

I've had to call MS three times this week alone to reactivate Windows due to damages PCs that needed to be reinstalled, and while I am pretty relaxed about the whole process,it sure is a pain in the butt

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
a measure against this disruptive action might be to: install Windows genuine advantage tool, install all updates, make sure to not install Windows genuine advantage notification, uninstall Windows genuine advantage tool by a tool, and Windows genuine advantage tool can this way not tell that Windows genuine advantage notification hasn't been installed. Is this correct?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yes

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I would like to install all critical updates, except all the various versions of windows genuine advantage notification update. How do I recognize them? They are all described as 'critical update', and when installed, it is windows genuine advantage notification update.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
they are identified at windows update. You should read things before installing.