Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pc freezing and needs hard reset

• Please log in to reply

grazazel

grazazel

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi I am hoping you can help me with a problem I got with my pc. It started a few weeks ago when I was watching a dvd on my comp, and the pc just froze solid. since then the problem has been happening with other programs, much more regularly. The things I have tried to solve this problem is as follows:- I have changed my gfx card from a geforce 2 to a radeon x800GTO, I have also tried replacing the ram but still no help. I tried unplugging my dvd drive and 1 of my harddrives, that didn't work. I did a complete format and re-install. According to motherboard monitor my cpu temp doesn't go above about 50-55 with system temp between 30-40 degrees. I have ran a hdd test utility and done a surface scan which reports no errors. I know my way around the inside of a computer but this has got me stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am getting near to taking a sledge hammer to the bloomin thing and my hair can't take much more pulling out as I will soon look like kojak.

Advertisements

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
You'll make it easier for staff to help you if you post some more system specs

Motherboard
CPU
Ram
yadda yadda

grazazel

grazazel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
sorry

cpu amd xp3000
512mb p2c3200
radeon x800GTO (was geforce 2 Ti)
2 x maxtor 40 gb hdd
Liteon dvd/rw
xp pro

Edited by grazazel, 26 June 2006 - 10:11 AM.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
After going through all this trouble, I trust you have virus and Spyware protection installed?

grazazel

grazazel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
nod32 for virus and ad-aware and spybot s&d for spyware

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I've never heard of that antivirus protector... Would you mind running an Internet scan for me? I suggest Trend Micro Housecall ...

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Stormknight6, if this is truly malware related, you are NOT allowed to help out or give ANY advice. This job belongs only to Malware Experts. Besides, they said they did a complete format and reinstall. So how on earth could it be an infection?

Grazazel, I think we need to have a look at the voltages that your power supply is putting out, as well as a couple other things:

Please download Speed Fan and install it.

Start Speed Fan. When it is fully loaded, take a screen shot of the first screen by pressing Print Screen/SysRq on your keyboard. Open Paint and paste. Save the screenshot as a JPEG and post it in a reply to me. Now click on the tab called S.M.A.R.T.. Select your hard drive by using the drop-down box at the top. Now take a screenshot of that as well. Post it in your reply to me as well.

NOTE: For certain computers, Speed Fan will not display accurate measurements. If the temperature wildly fluctuates or doesn't change at all, let me know, otherwise I will believe the mesurements are accurate.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 26 June 2006 - 07:12 PM.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I'm familiar with the rules, don't worry. I don't mess with viruses anyway, I know that's not my "cup of tea". he question was made to narrow down our options. How could it be an infection? Well, you add programs to your HD once you format it right? Is it not possible that viruses can transfer from floppy disks, etc? You're the expert, I'm just defending my point that I'm no idiot. Good luck :whistling:

Edited by Stormknight6, 26 June 2006 - 07:42 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts

Well, you add programs to your HD once you format it right?

True, but let's assume they're good programs for the moment. Generally people don't install EVERYTHING at once. Let's look at other stuff first.

Is it not possible that viruses can transfer from floppy disks, etc?

Only if you double-click on the infection that is on the floppy disk, etc. It would take a super intelligent infection to automatically activate after insertion. I've never heard of that...yet.

I'm just defending my point that I'm no idiot. Good luck

I understand. I realize I jumped the gun a bit, but we've had a few "incidences" where someone tries to "help" with a malware issue and makes things worse. Sorry for being abrupt.

Grazazel, get that Speedfan info for me and we'll see if we can figure out what's going on. If I see nothing, we'll check eventvwr. And finally, if nothing there, we'll check a hijackthis log. If still nothing, we'll put your computer's hardware through some testing.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 26 June 2006 - 09:53 PM.

grazazel

grazazel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
sorry not replied for few days as had a operation, but here is the screenshot from speedfan that you asked for

Posted Image

hope this helps

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Your -5V is way off! :whistling: If the sensor is reporting it accurately, this is DEFINATELY the cause of your problem.

I want to make sure this is accurate, and not a sensor glitch. Open SpeedFan and watch your -5V (found at the bottom)

Tell me if it changes or not. And if it does change, approximately how much? You may have to watch it for 2 minutes in order to respond to me accurately.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 30 June 2006 - 06:42 PM.

grazazel

grazazel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
after watching it is was varying between 2.4v and 2.8v. would this mean that the psu is faulty?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Exactly. The -5v should never drop below 4.5 and it should never be above 5.5

So it is way beyond the limits. Your PSU is worn out and needs to be replaced.

grazazel

grazazel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
right finally got money and changed my psu to a 600w one. Still having problems, I have checked the voltages in sisoft sandra and they reading ok. I can play Star trek elite force 2 fine, played it for over 3 hours since changing psu no problems, but I tried medal of honour pacific assault and I noticed that some of the graphics kept disappearing and reappearing then game crashed out to desktop and on oblivion the game randomly locks up the computer and I have to restart. This also happens with some dvd's but other play fine. Any suggestions. could it be another piece of hardware or do I need to make a post in the software section

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

I've never heard of that antivirus protector... Would you mind running an Internet scan for me? I suggest Trend Micro Housecall ...

NOD32 is very well known, especially in Australia.

As for your problems grazazel, try updating your ATI drivers. I know in Battlefront II, it kept freezing on me and locking me out until I updated my Nvidia drivers. Then it worked fine.