Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No hard drive letter?

• Please log in to reply

bshaw

bshaw

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hello all! I'm seeking some help here and would appreciate any advice, suggestions, or comments if possible.

Currently I am trying to recover data from an old hard drive that a good friend used for a long time. Last night I installed his hard drive (OS Win. 98) in my computer (OS: XP Pro).

I went to "my computer" right clicked and went into mange. My PC is recognizing the hard drive, but there is no drive letter for my friends hard drive. Therefore I cannot do anything with the drive, and it will not allow me to assign it a drive letter either.

I was going to try to convert it from Fat32 into NTFS also, but I cannot do that without a drive letter. Basically, I have not options to do anything with the drive besides delete the partition, which I do not want to do. Are there other options to get around this problem? I'm stuck and have no idea at this point on what to do, so any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Is the drive Plug and Play? Sadly, it seems like something in there might be corrupted, as a drive letter should appear by iteself. I had the same problem, and I had to reformat the drive to get things back to normal, which means you will not be able to restore your backups... Let me know what you want to do here.

bshaw

bshaw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I know at one time he said, he thought that a virus had corrupted the drive but was not for sure. I am already assuming that something is corrupted though.

The drive has the IDE connection on it, and it should be as simple as a plug and play but its not working out that way.

If there is anyway possible to restore the data on this thing I would really like too. If I can research on how to do this please let me know and I'll try to teach myself. Any good sites out there, or tutorials to read up on that you know of?

I would rather not give up so easy, I'm just hard headed like that :whistling: . Thanks for the help btw Storm!

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
A great thing to do is go to the manufacturer's website and check for drivers first. If there are none, check their knowledgebase. Sometimes they have a more friendly repair method.

bshaw

bshaw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I'll try that then, thanks!

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
You're very welcome. Post back any results :whistling: