Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video upgrade for my Dimension 3100

• Please log in to reply

AmericanInfidel

AmericanInfidel

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Dell dimension 3100
Intel Pentium 4 cpu 2.8GHz
512 mb RAM

I have no idea what this is, but it says I have it for a display adapter:
Intel® 82915G/GV/910GL Express chipset family

Also, I only have 2 slots for RAM, and I am currently running (I believe) the 256 that came w/ the system in addition to another 256. I can run Doom 3, but it is a little laggy. Is it possible to upgrade my video card? If not will a Gig of RAM allow me to run doom more smoothly???

Advertisements

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
That means that right now you have integrated graphics so I have no idea how you got Doom to run at all. Use CPU-z or tell us what video card connector you have and we can suggest a card!

And in my opinion, another 512 of RAM won't help that much if you running integrated graphics. Also, make sure that your computer can hold another 512.

AmericanInfidel

AmericanInfidel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I bought a GeForce Fx5500 256mb PCI graphics card. The only problem is that my Dell (Dimension 3100) in it's current state does not have a seperate video card - it has an integrated video card. How do I disable my integrated video display to install and run my new GeForce Fx5500 pci graphics card.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
In your bios- you should be able to disable onboard video

AmericanInfidel

AmericanInfidel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
how do I access my BIOS to diable the onboard video

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
I believe for DELLs it is holding DELETE at boot. I am not kidding.

Beetle

Beetle

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Well, you don't have to hold it, but it IS the "delete" button. If I am wrong, then it tells you at boot up anyway.