Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AVG protection Problem!

• Please log in to reply

woundedyak

woundedyak

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I load the trial version of AVG 7.1. I'am running xp pro. Once I installed the software it locked me out of just about everything. I can't get on to the internet,it won't let me into half of my programs. I tried to uninstall it and it won't even let me do that! I went into AVG and disabled everything that I could and then restarted the system. when reloaded it loaded me as a guess user and wants a password for administrator. I have never used a name and password for my pc. If this makes any sense to anyone I would really apperciate any tips or help..Thanks

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Alright, let's try to fix this once and for all... Have you tried going into Safe Mode and running a System Restoration? Is Safe Mode working fine for you as far as logging in goes? Is AVG your first virus protector? Was your computer clean of viruses and Spyware before installing AVG? Do you have more than one virus protector running at once? Do you have a firewall installed? Was installing AVG the only change you have made to the system recently?

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there woundedyak, welcome to Geeks to Go Forums.

It sounds like you might have a malware problem, that is why AVG is locking your system, trying to keep the virus from futher infection.

Try uninstalling it from safe mode:

Restart your computer and as soon as it starts booting up again continuously tap F8. A menu should come up where you will be given the option to enter Safe Mode.

Goto:
> Start
> Control Panel
> Add or Remove Programs
> Click on "AVG" and remove.

Once you have got AVG uninstalled please read this:

Read This Before Posting A Hijackthis Log (Click on the link)

That will give you steps that will help you clean up 70% of the problems yourself. Then please download "Hijackthis" and run Hijackthis with log. Save the log file here: Malware Removal - HiJackThis Logs Go Here

Let me know if you got AVG uninstalled, if not still download hijackthis and run it and send the log through, let the malware staff take a look at it and see if there is any malware, if not come back to this post and let me know and we can get your AVG working and find what it is that is conflicting with it, also make sure no other anti-virus are present on the computer, because this can also cause conflic.

Thank you. Cool :whistling:

woundedyak

woundedyak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks everyone for your quick response,You guys rock!I can't get on to the internet to dl highjack. I tryed to uninstall the program and it came back as "Error Application cannot be uninstalled" So I tryed a restore but it won't even let me bring it up. I click on system restore and it apperars for about a second then just goes away. I go into safe mode and as soon as safe mode is done loading it said it needs to shut down and starts counting down from 60 seconds. So at this point I'am about to tie two bricks to it and throw it in the lake...lol I've never had any problems like this so I don't think that it is a melware problem (Thanks to you guys and all of your protect tips) But I'am a rookie so anything is possible. Anymore help and tips would be greatly apperciated

Edited by woundedyak, 26 June 2006 - 11:05 AM.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
It sounds like you have a bad infection... Did you have prior protection for internet nasties?

woundedyak

woundedyak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
stormnight6

Yes,I was running Macafee.I wanted to get rid of it becuase it was bogging my system down! Once I got AVG I uninstalled Mac before I installed AVG.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Too bad you can't get on the internet or I would have you run an online scan... Do you have firewall software installed?

woundedyak

woundedyak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
The only firewall I have is with AVG. I disabled it and it still won't let me on!

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
How do you connect to the internet? DSL?

woundedyak

woundedyak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
yep,DSL through embarq. Maybe try reseting the modem?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Yes, always turn off the modem for about 30 seconds and then restore power if you are facing any issues.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you can't get onlline with this machine...you can always download the tools suggested in the "start here" section of the malware section to a disk and run them on the other machine...you can also do this with hijackthis...it may be in your best interest to go this route as trying to fix anything else on a machine riddled with malware (which yours may or may not be) is useless untill all malware is gone

woundedyak

woundedyak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks folks. I will start with all of the suggestion listed above and post back later.Any further help will be apperciated