Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LG GCE-8481B does not see driver

• Please log in to reply

glcarteraz

glcarteraz

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
A Microsoft engineer helped me perform a 'manual reload' of XP Pro yesterday (my fault, I changed CLSID permissions and chose an option that screwed things up and Windows would not load). A few applications were hosed and I need to reinstall them.

Unfortunately, the CD-RW doesn't work at this point (no probelms before reload). It is an LG GCE-8481B drive, and I was able to find a driver at LGE.com and at OpenDrivers.com. I downloaded and installed the software. I then tried to Update Driver in Dev Mgr to no avail. I then Uninstalled and Reinstalled to no avail. The drive's Properties say "unable to load driver".

Is this now - officially - a hardware issue? What more can I do? I am thinking about backing everything up and doing a reload, but with services packs, patches, software installation, etc., that is no small process these days.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Greg

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi glcarteraz...

Let's take a look at the upper and lower filters for this problem. Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} In the right pane, are UpperFilters and/or LowerFilters listed?

wannabe1

glcarteraz

glcarteraz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Yes, as follows:

Text in "LowerFilters":

PXHELP20
drvmcdb
sscdbhk5
CDR4_XP

Text in "UpperFilters":

GEARAspiWDM
Cdralw2k
pwd_2k

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Go back to the registry key, right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}, and choose "Export". Save this to your desktop and name it cdbu.

Now, in the right pane, right click on LowerFilters and choose "Delete"...accept the change. Do the same for UpperFilters.

Close Registry Editor and reboot. Do you have the drive back?

glcarteraz

glcarteraz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I have my drive back. I did a 'manual reload' with Microsoft and have access to my drive, but there are alot of issues to resolve (Norton's stuff has basicalliy disappeared though the root folders are in the Start Menu, Pest Patrol has been corrupted in some way, etc. etc.

I'll do the above and let you know if this solves the problem. Thanks so much.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Exactly what procedure (manual reload) did you do? Was it an in-place upgrade (Repair Install)?

glcarteraz

glcarteraz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Microsoft calls it a manual reinstall -- not through Recovery Console or System Restore. I don't know what Repair/Install means -- that would be good to understand. All I know is to run chkdsk c: /r to repair a directory structure.

BTW, the CD-Rom problem was never solved and -- oh BTW -- it will not boot up just as it didn't before the 'manual reinstall.' So I am going to use PC Relocator and do a fresh install -- this has been a huge waste of time and I would have just done the fresh install earlier but I dreaded all the hours of updating Windows, etc. But I've already spent more time than I would have spent doing that, so it's time to step back 3 paces and punt.

Thanks, though for your reply. I appreciate the time you and others take to help the community out.