Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ASRock 939 DUAL-SATA2

• Please log in to reply

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
As some of you know i have just upgraded to an Athlon 64 well tryed to. Ok so what happened is I installed everything then tryed to turn it on and nothing I thought it could be the jumpers were set wrong so I changed them and kept trying to start it but still nothing. then I tryed it on a cardboard box to see if it was short circuting but still nothing. The back PSU fan would come on when i flicked the kettle switch on it. then because of the motherboard has a 4 pin connector i tryed the breakaway one from the main 20 or 24 pin connector and the PSU fan didnt spin but still nothing. Could anyone tell me whats causing this?

Thanks,

Kurt

Advertisements

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
The 4-pin breakaway connector on the power supply cannot be used to power the separate 4-pin connector on the motherboard. It shouldn't even fit.

Your power supply should have a similat but separate 4-pin connector to power the motherboard. If the motherboard's main power connector has only 24 pins in it then simply don't use the extra 4-pin connector portion of it.

If your power supply doesn't have a separate 4-pin connector for the motherboard then you will need to purchase a new power supply that has one. The vast majority od PSUs have this extra connector.

rumble291

rumble291

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
I found out the problem its the PSU. I used a cheapo 500W and it works fine but I want a decent PSU as the one I have is really bad. Any ideas on what PSUs will work with the motherboard?

Thanks,

Kurt

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I myself prefer using CoolMax or ThermalTake for PSU's.

Coolmax 500W PSU's at TigerDirect:
http://www.tigerdire...a...t=3&Recs=10

Thermaltake 500W PSU's at TigerDirect:
http://www.tigerdire...a...t=3&Recs=10

All of them are SATA ready so you don't have to worry about that if you are using SATA hard drives. You can ignore the one's that are SLi ready since your motherboard only has one PCI-E x16 slot.

Fenor

rumble291

rumble291

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
I also kinda blew my graphics card up. Is the Sapphire Radeon X1800GTO any good. Before everyone starts posting about direct X 10 I need a graphics card asap Im only wanting to play CS:S, BF2, BF:V etc. The PSU needs to be compatiable though cause I have a Hiper 580W Type-R PSU and it doesnt work with the motherboard.

Thanks,

Kurt

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
I take it that your motherboard's main power connector is a 20-pin, so you will be able to use just about any power supply. I understand that a 24-pin power supply connector will plug into a motherboard's 20-pin jack.

Thermaltake TR2 W0070 ATX 430W
This one has a 24-pin conn. with a 4-pin break-away conn. plus a separate 4-pin auxillary power conn.
----------------------------
Edit:
I hope you can get your money back on the Hiper PSU. It should have worked just fine.

Edited by WinCrazy, 27 June 2006 - 11:31 AM.

rumble291

rumble291

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
So its a problem with the PSU? Could I get any PSU? I dont think im going to get another Hiper.