Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dvd drive, wierd. Please help

• Please log in to reply

coco123

coco123

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hi could someone please help me. I recently bought a new Dvd drive.

However i attempted to put it in tonight and heres how i did it. I previously had a cd writer and a Cd rom, I removed the cd rom and put the Dvd burner in its place, All i did was replace the cables. But now when i boot my pc at the very beginning i can open the Dvd rom and Close it fine but as soon as my bios ( i think thats what their called anyway, Where it tells you about your master device and secondary device etc appears ) the Dvd rom seems to stop responding. Example you push the open drive buttong and nothing happens, You go into my computer and eject it from their and again nothing happens.

Probably just something simple i just havent done but if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks alot

Coco

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
try removing both drives and making sure when you reinstall both of them that the cables are securly in place- was their any cd's that came with this new drive?

-if this problem continues post back here- you might have a bad drive

coco123

coco123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Unfortunatly no cd came with the drive i bought it from a mate and he doesnt know whether it came with one or not. lol

And is their a way to install it without the disk?

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Are you able to get to a windows update- sometimes that might have something

In your device manager- do you see and question marks?

coco123

coco123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Edit. I found the device manager through google. I have been in their and their is no mention of a dvd rom :S

also i forgot to mention the dvd rom is a Samsung SD-608

I have only just come to realise that my Cd writer is not appearing when i open my computer. Thayt disk drive still opens and closes however. It just doesnt appear in ym computer. I just restaryted my pc and i think the Dvd writer is set as my Master, Because my old cd rom must of been my master. Does this shed any light on things?

Not sure weather it will or not but its all extra info lol :whistling:

But thanks again in advance for any help recieved.

Edited by coco123, 26 June 2006 - 04:56 PM.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
http://www.cdrom-dri.../123/123148.htm

try that :whistling: hope it works!

coco123

coco123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Nope didnt work, :whistling: however in the descriptionof it said it is not required for xp. Thank you for theh elp anyway.

P.s When i turned the P.C on This morning The Atapi drive Which was the previous cd rom, a message came up on my bios telling me that it was uncompatible. However it is refering to the previous drive.

Sorry for the late reply i had to go to sleep

And thanks again for all the help you are providing.

Thanks

Coco

Edited by coco123, 27 June 2006 - 11:09 AM.

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

All i did was replace the cables. But now when i boot my pc at the very beginning i can open the Dvd rom and Close it fine but as soon as my bios ( i think thats what their called anyway, Where it tells you about your master device and secondary device etc appears ) the Dvd rom seems to stop responding

Did you set the DVD Rom to Slave? Cd writer should be Master and is at end of ide cable.

coco123

coco123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

All i did was replace the cables. But now when i boot my pc at the very beginning i can open the Dvd rom and Close it fine but as soon as my bios ( i think thats what their called anyway, Where it tells you about your master device and secondary device etc appears ) the Dvd rom seems to stop responding

Did you set the DVD Rom to Slave? Cd writer should be Master and is at end of ide cable.

No.

I didnt know i was suppose to nor do i know how :S lol

If an explanation could be given it would be greatly appreciated

p.s Sorry about the late last two replies. I was asleep and then i had to go to work. My apologies.

Thanks

Edited by coco123, 27 June 2006 - 10:59 AM.

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
The DVD has to be changed to Slave,normally comes in the Master setting
Remove small white?plug from Master position
put it in the Slave position (ide middle connector)
The CD burner should still be in Master position (ide end connector)

Attached Thumbnails

• Hard_drive_Jumper.jpg

Edited by HaraldR, 27 June 2006 - 09:46 PM.

coco123

coco123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks alot i will attempt this when i get home from work greatly appreciated :whistling:, Thanks

Edit. Thanks alot man that what the problem was, Greatly appreciated :blink:. Thanks again and thank for all your help also soxrok

Greatly appreciated

Thanks again

Coco

Edited by coco123, 28 June 2006 - 02:07 PM.