Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop for College

• Please log in to reply

spencedoggydog

spencedoggydog

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I'm looking for recommendations on laptops for college students.

Are there processors to avoid?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Well first, what will you be doing on this computer? Any gaming? Watching DVDs? Just school reports? Internet of course. Of all the laptop brands, I would say that Sony, IBM and Toshiba have served many people well.

spencedoggydog

spencedoggydog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Well first, what will you be doing on this computer? Any gaming? Watching DVDs? Just school reports? Internet of course. Of all the laptop brands, I would say that Sony, IBM and Toshiba have served many people well.

Thanks.

What about the processor? Are there ones you would say to avoid?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
You didn't answer my question :whistling: :blink: The type of processor you will need depends on how you will use the computer. For example, if you will be using the laptop for gaming, and other applications that require good speed, you want an AMD processor over an Intel. If you won't be doing any of this however, Intel works fine for you. Keep in mind that a laptop with an AMD processor is a bit hard to find, and could be costly compared to the traditional Intel-based laptops.

spencedoggydog

spencedoggydog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

You didn't answer my question :whistling: :blink: The type of processor you will need depends on how you will use the computer. For example, if you will be using the laptop for gaming, and other applications that require good speed, you want an AMD processor over an Intel. If you won't be doing any of this however, Intel works fine for you. Keep in mind that a laptop with an AMD processor is a bit hard to find, and could be costly compared to the traditional Intel-based laptops.

Thanks. No gaming. Basic MS Office/web.

Are there any Intel processors I should avoid?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Well, if you won't be gaming, an Intel will better suit your needs. I would say an Intel Celeron Processor is good for you, as it saved battery life. Don't get a processor with any less than 1.6 GHz on it, as that will be a bit slow. As far as RAM, stick with at least 512 MB to stay safe. You can get away with 256 MB, but that might not work best for you. As far as brands, Try to stick with Sony, IBM or Toshiba. One last recommendation... When you make a laptop, build it to last. Once you build it, don't try to change the graphics card, or processor, anything like that. Build something that will still serve you good for a few years.

spencedoggydog

spencedoggydog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Well, if you won't be gaming, an Intel will better suit your needs. I would say an Intel Celeron Processor is good for you, as it saved battery life. Don't get a processor with any less than 1.6 GHz on it, as that will be a bit slow. As far as RAM, stick with at least 512 MB to stay safe. You can get away with 256 MB, but that might not work best for you. As far as brands, Try to stick with Sony, IBM or Toshiba. One last recommendation... When you make a laptop, build it to last. Once you build it, don't try to change the graphics card, or processor, anything like that. Build something that will still serve you good for a few years.

What are your thoughts on Dell's laptops?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Steay away from Dell laptops. I have had a bad experience with one and so have other people I have spoken with. Dell desktops are very decent, but the laptops are wimpy. Also, their support is nothing to speak of. Supposedly, according to Consumer Reports, the best brands go in this order: Sony, IBM, Toshiba, Apple, HP, Dell, Compaq, Gateway. The ones in the front are the best, the ones in the back are worst. I've used a Sony before, and it's a great machine, just expensive. Toshiba hasn't given me grief yet, and is affordable.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Dell Inspirons have some issues. Dell Latitude are very nice quality, but rarely go on sale, and you'll pay quite a bit more. Watch for the new AMD laptops from Dell due sson (in time for back to school).

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
I've heard some good things about HP notebook PCs as well (price vs performance). You may want to check them out. Sony, Apple, & IBM make very good notebooks, but they are usually more expensive. For a CPU, I would probably recommend a Pentium M (or maybe Core Duo, but those are expensive and are overkill for basic word processing and internet browsing) with at least 512 MB RAM.

Edited: Inspirons aren't always the best, but they are inexpensive.

Edited by Pi rules, 27 June 2006 - 12:41 PM.

Advertisements

wil919

wil919

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
To be honest, I have a Dell Inspiron 9300 (top of the line model) and I've yet to have any issues with it. I've had it for a year now, and the only problem I've had was when I had a faulty CD drive that went bad in Jaunary and they sent one to me (which was an easy install) NEXT DAY. Their customer service isn't as bad anymore; at least they speak English and they assisted me perfectly (I don't think they're in India anymore)

Overall, I guess Dells can be good or bad, but I've been ultra happy with my purchase. Then again, I use this for intense gaming as well as college every day use; I take it with me everywhere and it's served its "desktop replacement" title extremely well

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I also own a Dell Inspiron 700m, and I'm very happy with it (got it for a great price). I also know a couple of other people that own them and haven't had any issues. One of then uses it for their main system, and is a heavy computer user. I wasn't knocking the Inspiron, just pointing out that the Latitude line is superior. Not all Dell laptops (or any mfg) are created equal. If I could chose any laptop, it would be Lenovo (formerly IBM).

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Just to reiterate: go with at least 512MB of RAM becuase using less will cause the hard drive to be used more instead and laptop drives are much slower than desktop drives.

Also, notebooks are smaller and lighter than laptops but you will pay a premium for this feature. The screens and keyboards are smaller and more cramped, too.

cvclover

cvclover

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I would avoid Toshibas... my friend has one that has been giving him nothing but grief despite being sent back for a repair...

Also, I've heard other people say the same thing when Toshibas are brought up. They're cheap though... guess thats a positive.

Myself, I'm going to get a Macbook at the end of the summer. I already have a powerful desktop (3.4ghz, 2 gig ram, 256 video) so the macbook with the 2 ghz Intel Core Duo, with a gig of ram should be plenty to handle anything I need mobile, or just for whenever.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Lol, everyones an expert when it comes to laptops.

Laptops are hard, not all are made equal as Admin said, some models are great and some are rubbish and they can be from the same company.

CPU wise Intel AMD divide isnt actually a factor because the laptop CPUs are different from the desktops, gaming wise you want intel in a laptop although the turions are still good.

I always liked IBM not great lookers but they were solid and quality good, seems lenovo carries on the tradition as long sa you dont mind the commies spying on you(rumour). Acer i like some models have problems though you should check for any problems with specific laptops before hand.

I have to say i wouldnt buy a macbook, not because its an apple(some will know i dont like the OS but that can be changed) but because they seem to have some quality problems Discolouration and overheating mainly. That and they cost an arm and a leg.

Wouldnt get an HP or Toshiba they both have alot of problems and HP systems all the ones ive seen scream cheap and tacky a mile away not to mention the HP pre packaged apps.

Also a notebook and a laptop are the same thing there is no technical or even slang standard for size notebook is a more modern term for laptop. The technical term for the type of laptop wincrazy is talking about is an ultraportable generally have <12" screens and low power CPUs.

If its not going to be gaming and its purely work i would get smoething smaller with a longer battery life not a large desktop replacment laptop. The smaller ones arent as powerful but are more portable and last longer on the battery and if its just for work you dont need the power.

Whats your degree? that can effect the type of laptop you might want.

Samsung are getting into the laptop market with some nifty systems using flash memory instead of Hard drives the battery life on them is great if you are wanting that check them out, they look cool as well.