Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop for College

• Please log in to reply

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
If I have the money for it, when I go to college, I want to buy a Sony. Great brand, just a little pricy.

Advertisements

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Depending on what you have or want to spend my son is off to college and did some research and after some talk with an IT guy at his intership this past spring he came up with the following

http://www.compsourc...t_no=LXTAJ06057

I asked the opinion of quite a few of the staff members here and it got a very high rating,
Keeping in mind the idea of gaming not taken into consideration here ( I would kick his a$$ for it anyway I m paying him to go to school to learn :whistling: )

Hope that helps

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Sony is actually one of the worse brands the lappers look good but often have problems or just arent as good as similarly priced competing laptops.

Yeah Dons boys lapper is a good un, there should be core2 ones coming out soon that should be beastin. Dont worry Don he wont be gaming so much other fun things to do at uni.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
They seriously have all those issues? I've never heard :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah pretty common for them to have something wrong with them, sony stuff always has the potential to be great, it rarely is or take a half dozen firmware updates to do it.

Besides i wouldnt be surprised if the company slides even further down the tubes they are very succesfully alienating there core market through insults and overpricing(they have always been overpriced just before the stuff was worth it), sony are really going to the dogs.

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts

Dont worry Don he wont be gaming so much other fun things to do at uni.

Scot did he pay you to say that ? :whistling:

my nephew has a sony thought it was great when he first got it now wants a new one 1 year of college and already ready for a upgrade :blink:

I m told the one I posted earlier should last the full 4 years of college

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
It should; that notebook has some pretty good specs. However, Core 2 Duos are supposed to be much better, so it may be best to wait for those if possible.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah it will last 4 years, might want to add some new ram in a couple of years maybe and a bigger HD or big flash drive but yeah itll last.

If youre buying now look for a core 2 though its newer and its power consumptiom is low enough for laptops, beasting fast CPU.

Nah, just recounting experience uni is pretty fun, and ive not even done a tenth of the things i shoulda done in my first year(to introverted and live to far away), but i had fun first year is meant for fun(unless as i learned you do science AND Engineering what was i thinking).

Uni is pretty fun.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I'm a former Sony Vaio owner. They do look great, nice design. Build quality is another matter. The case was flimsy and too flexible, the screen was horrible, and the keypad had a very cheap feel. It had decent performance, but as Scott said there were a number of BIOS updates.