Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 95 start-up: "enter CURRENT password"

• Please log in to reply

asian_al

asian_al

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello,
I recently picked up my grandmothers old computer... I used to use it a lot, so I know most about the computer. The computer is a Gateway 2000 I believe that it has Windows 95 installed but possibly Windows 98. I took the computer to my house. I plugged it in after getting some free power cords from a local store. When I turn on the system I get the "Gateway 2000" logo when it starts up. Then the screen displays some numbers... I belive that its how much ram is in the system...:whistling: Then it says press <F1> to ... I really don't remember what it says, but I know that most computers say you can press <F1>. I want to say it is system properties...:blink: Then immediately after the screen flashes and then the screen displays "enter CURRENT password:" On my keyboard the only keypress that registers is "Esc"... I was wondering if it could possibly be my keyboard...:help: I don't really know. When I press "Esc" an "X" is displayed and the computer beeps...

Screen Display after I press "Esc" - "enter CURRENT password:X"

After getting the "X". The next line says "enter CURRENT password:" This say process occurs three times. After I press "Esc" for the third time I recieve a little smiley face...:) Its like the computer is moking me because I don't know the password...:woot:
So I recieve a display containing -

"enter CURRENT password:X"
"enter CURRENT password:X"
"enter CURRENT password:X :yes: "

I really don't know what to do...:woot: I would appreciate it if someone could help me :woot: Please. I don't have the money right now, or a job, to be able to buy a new desktop or a laptop... So I really would like some help. I have tried most of the keys (I should probly try them all) I know that "Esc" works until the smiley... I also know that Ctrl + Alt + Delete restarts the computer... I was think also that I should reformat the hard drive. Then install an operating system. Any feedback would be very helpfull. Thank you for your time.

- asian_al

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's possible that when you're typing...that the password is actually being entered...but that there is no mask character showing up (the charachters used to "hide" the password you're typing)...do you know the password? does your grandmother know the password?

asian_al

asian_al

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you for the help. I didn't even think about "hide". I talked to my grandmother and she doesn't know the password...*sigh* She doesn't even know how it got there. lol I don't know it either. My girlfriends brother told me to find out what kind of motherboard is in the computer. Then look it up on the internet on how to move a wire on the motherboard then turn on the comp. then turn it off and then the pass. should reset. Does this sound like a possible option? Thank you for your help!

-asian_al

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
....it's a good idea...he would be talking about the CMOS jumper...another way to reset the BIOS (contained in the CMOS) would be to unplug the computer...and take the battery out of the motherboard (looks like a watch battery) for about 2 min or so while holding the power button in (why hold the power button in with the thing unpluged y ou say? it discharges residual electricity stored in the capacitors of the board which makes sure that the bios will reset)...put the battery back in and turn the machine on...you will probably have to reset the clock..

asian_al

asian_al

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yes! Thank you for all the help. But ther is another problem... I don't have a boot disk... It says insert BOOT disk and press any key...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
are there any disks currently in the computer?

asian_al

asian_al

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I tried stating the computer wthout the floppy in and with one in. I don't remeber what floppy i inserted but I just would like to know what disk I should buy.

-asian_al

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
as for a bootdisk you don't need to buy one....you can go to www.bootdisk.com and make one....the issue here is what we're gonna do with that bootdisk....do you have any of the actual OS disks that came with the computer?

asian_al

asian_al

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you! I will check out that website. As for the boot disks that came with the computer... *sigh* I used to have them... but when I moved out of my grandmothers house, I believe that she threw them out... So I don't have any original boot disks.

-asian_al