Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Problem

• Please log in to reply

okal

okal

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 notebook and recently I had a hard drive crash where when I tried to boot into windows I get a blue screen error "UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME." I ran diagonistics test and it gave me error code "0F00:0244 - uncorrectable data error or media is write protected." Didn't look too good, so I did some research and it says that this means that there are bad sectors on the hard drive and that it will need replacements. However, I found in some forum (I think this one) that you can reboot into windows using "chkdsk /r", which I did and it worked. So I was able to backup my files onto CD's. My computer has been running fine for about 3 days now, I don't really expect a total HD failure.

Anyways, my question is should I be worried about a crash because of this severe error code or should I go ahead a get a new hard drive? Also, the way this whole thing happened was that I was trying to burn a CD and my comp. froze on me during the burn, so I had to shut down my notebook improperly. Then when I tried to reboot I got the blue screen error. I have been reading a lot online about this problem, it seems pretty common, at least among Dell computers. But I am getting a lot of contradictory posts, some saying that it is fatal and others saying that there is hope.

Any help or advice? I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi okal! Welcome to G2G!

Seems to me like the hard drive itself isn't damaged, but rather some of the system files used by Windows. Since you did the chkdsk /r in the recovery console, you should be okay. Have you noticed anything else since the incident while trying to burn a cd? Does it seem slower when doing certain activities, hangs at times or anything like the that?

Fenor

okal

okal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey, thanks for replying!

Since I did 'chkdsk /r' my computer has been acting pretty much the same way before the error. The only difference I have been noticing is that it is taking longer to boot into windows. Before and after the error, Windows always gives me a message saying that my system is low on memory and it is increasing the virtual memory paging, that some applications may be denied access. This happens every day and I don't understand why, I do not really do anything that requires a lot of memory, at least not every day. My system has 1 GB of RAM, so it should be able to handle it. Just in general, I have been having to restart my computer many times due to it locking or freezing up. This was before and after the error.

So should I ignore posts where they say that my hard drive is dying? I was pretty worried when I first read this. I'm a college student and don't have the money for a new drive. With regard to the burn, I tried burning a CD afterwards (with hesitation) and it worked fine, but it was a different set of songs. Forgive my ignorance, but is it possible that my problem was with the "media is write protected" part of the code? I was burning the new Chilli Peppers CD; could Musicmatch detect that it was copyrighted music and thus shut down my comp? Or is 'media is write protected' a totally different error that I am misintrepreting?

Anyways, any advice you can give I would much appreciate! Thanks.

Edited by okal, 26 June 2006 - 10:35 PM.