Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer very slow, freezes up and other issues

• Please log in to reply

dosu761

dosu761

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I have an eMachine T2241, AMD Athlon ™ XP 2400+1.99GHz, 96.0 Mb of RAM. Running Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2. I have 87% free space on my hard drive. It is very slow operating, freezes up (doing it more often now) and at times the printer won't print (says device is busy and retry later and I can turn right around and then print). My husband tried to set up the fax but never was able to get it right. I have a Lexmark X63 all-in-one printer. I also have a digital camera connected to the computer. I did download Speed Fan, but not sure about the info that I got.

I don't know much about my computer. Just basically surfing on the net. I really would like to learn more but don't know where to begin. Really would appreciate any help I could get in correcting these problems.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
How long has it been like this? When did this start? Do you have virus and Spyware portection? Do you know how much RAM you have? If you don't, we'll find out.

dosu761

dosu761

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I began to notice the change a couple of months ago and it has progressively gotten worse. I use Windows Cleaner everytime that I'm done on my computer. I just downloaded Windows Defender a couple of days ago. I checked my system, doing everything possible I know to do, and it tells me that I have no viruses. I've defragged. I believe I have 128 RAM, but not sure.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
128 MB of RAM will make your system very slow. Microsoft recommends at least 256 MB to run XP. To be sure, I want you to right-click on the My Computer icon and click on Properties. Whe the window displays, look at the bottom of it, and it will usually list some system specs.

dosu761

dosu761

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
When I purchased my computer, Windows XP was already installed. I have had my computer for 2 years and this is the first for these problems.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Hello dosu761,

Please download and run hijackthis Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post. In order to attach it, you will either need to change the .log extension to .txt, or you will have to put the log into a compressed (zipped) folder.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

If you post a hijackthis log in this forum, several trusted techs will come to your house and eat all of your Ritz crackers, Cheeze Doodals and any sweet pickles you have in your fridge. We will also put our feet up on all of your coffee tables. This is no joke. We'll do it. It's not pretty. :whistling:

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Yes, you e-mailed the log correctly this time. It looks good. No problems.

I have a feeling it is not enough RAM, like Stormknight6 alluded to. But, it also could be an overheating or power supply issue. This would be more critical. Let's check that first, and then we'll see how much RAM you have.

Please download Speed Fan and install it.

Start Speed Fan. When it is fully loaded, take a screen shot of the first screen by pressing Print Screen/SysRq on your keyboard. Open Paint and paste. Save the screenshot as a JPEG and post it in a reply to me. Now click on the tab called S.M.A.R.T.. Select your hard drive by using the drop-down box at the top. Now take a screenshot of that as well. Post it in your reply to me as well.

NOTE: For certain computers, Speed Fan will not display accurate measurements. If the temperature wildly fluctuates or doesn't change at all, let me know, otherwise I will believe the mesurements are accurate.

And then, might as well collect the info on your RAM too while we're at it. Here's how to do it:

Download WinAudit. Start it, and then click on Options at the top. At the bottom, click None and then check ONLY the box that says System Overview and then click Apply. Then, click on the button that says Here. It will record information about your system.

Save the audit to your desktop. This will save three files. Take all three files and put them into a single zip (compressed) folder. Name the folder WinAudit. Post it in your reply to me.

I will use this info to determine how to speed up your computer, if it is not an issue with overheating or the power supply.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 28 June 2006 - 09:19 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Yes, you sent it to me correctly.

And...you have only 96 MB of RAM. :whistling: :blink:

Your computer is starving for memory. You need to add more RAM. I'm inclined to conclude that that is your entire problem.

After you add more RAM (I suggest adding at least 256 MB, preferably 512 MB), if you problem(s) still exist (which I doubt) post back here and we'll continue troubleshooting.

If you need help with choosing the right RAM to purchase, let me know.

dosu761

dosu761

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yes, I will need help in choosing the Ram memory. Can you explain to me about the Ram memory. I don't understand because all I do is surf the net. Also, can you tell me, how or where I can go to learn about my computer. Thank you for all your help and your patience.

drwtsn32

drwtsn32

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My sis had the same symptoms or pretty close and she was running on 128 MB of RAM on a HP machine(it was working fine till she started installing various software/hardware etc. I think it is a Athlon too..I'm going to help with the upgrade over the weekend. Anyway this a free pc which came with her internet subsription.

However in your case if you don't know any IT friends who are good with hardware and pc stuff, my advice is to bring it to your local pc shop and get them to help put in the ram...it shouldn't take more than 10 mins. they shouldn't charge you anything for that except the price of the RAM. May be do them a favour and get any it stuff u need from the same shop like maybe a new wireless optical mouse or something. That way they'll feel a bit happier to do your ram upgrade for you..free or charge of course.

your question about info about your pc...well..anything wanna know just shoot away and i'll be glad to answer...there's always google or your local library (stocked filled with dummies guides for everything.) all the best with your RAM upgrade.

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
dosu761...do you want to replace it manually, or do you think it is better to find a geek friend?

Things to remember when replacing RAM:

1. Static electricity can damage your computer and the new stick of RAM.
2. Don't force the RAM in. It should easily snap in place.
3. Make sure it is in all the way. If it isn't, you could fry your computer.
4. The RAM has to be a speed equal to or lower than what your Motherboard supports.
5. The RAM should not increase the total amount of RAM beyond what your motherboard supports.
6. The RAM must be a compatable type (either SIMM, DIMM, or RIMM) and then (DDR2, DDR, DRAM, RD-RAM, or SD-RAM)

So you see, if we walk you through this, we will have to collect a lot of info about your computer. If you want to do this manually, we're here for ya. But it would be much quicker (and possibly safer) to have a geek friend do it. :whistling:

We await your decision.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 30 June 2006 - 10:21 PM.

dosu761

dosu761

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I am going to have to do it myself. I just talked with Geek Squad and they want $39 plus the product to install for me. I can't afford that. No money because my husband is terminally ill. Thanks to all of you for your help!

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Hi dosu761,

Computerwiz12890 has asked me to help you find what type of RAM you need. So let's work through this together. If at any point you don't understand my instructions :blink: it doesn't mean you're stupid, just that I didn't explain myself clearly enough - so don't be afraid to ask for clarification :whistling: . Similarly, If I'm overexplaining it's not because I think you don't understand but because others may benefit from detailed clear instructions. :help:

The first thing we need to do is find out what type of RAM your computer needs. To do this you are going to download a program called SIW from here (click on the underlined "here" to go to that website). Hit the download button and download the program to your desktop. When you have done this, double click it to open it. You will get some warnings from Windows - don't worry about these and go ahead. It will take a little while to start up as it will be collecting all kinds of information about your computer.

Now go to the Hardware tab and select Memory. Highlight it all and then press the copy button (click on the picture below - I have circled the relevant fields in red).
SIW1.jpg

Now reply to this post and press ctrl + v to paste the information you just copied.

That should let us know what kind of RAM you need. Next episode - RAM shopping :) .

Digikiwi

Edited by digikiwi, 02 July 2006 - 05:53 AM.

dosu761

dosu761

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Property Value
Memory Summary
Capacity 128 MBytes
Location System board or motherboard
Maximum Capacity 2048 MBytes
Memory Slots 2
Error Correction None
Error Correction Capabilities None
Name Physical Memory Array
Use System memory
Maximum Memory Module Size 2048 MBytes

Device Locator Slot 1
Capacity 128 MBytes
Memory Type SDRAM
Speed 60 ns
Form Factor DIMM

Warning! Accuracy of DMI data cannot be guaranteed

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you know the make and model of motherboard, you can get the options here

http://www.crucial.com/

As you have only two slots, a 1gb stick would give the better long term options, however, it won't be the cheapest option, go for 512MB if you can