Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer very slow, freezes up and other issues

• Please log in to reply

dosu761

dosu761

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
It doesn't list my model, what do I do? I have an eMachine T2241

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you post the make and model of the motherboard

dosu761

dosu761

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
This is what is listed for system info - eMachine T2241

AMD Athlon ™ XP2400+1.99GHz, 96.0 MB of Ram

I am sorry, I just don't know too much at all, but I'm trying.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
T-Machines only have T-2440, not 2441 listed, they have 1GB memory at 150 USD

You will be able to get it cheaper elsewhere, especially if you get generic memory

Probably a good thing to ask e-machines about the model number

dosu761

dosu761

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I chatted with eMachine support and I have T2341. The tech says I need to purchase DDR PC2100 DIMM.<br>. Is this correct?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Very unlikely to be wrong, if one of their support people told you

You can get value ram 512MB for around 60 USD or Kingston 1 GB for 140 USD

If you get 1GB, try to get a single stick to avoid using both slots

If you go back to the crucial site, look for the make of the motherboard, not e-machines in manufacturer

dosu761

dosu761

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Went to Crucial and ran system scanner, here are the results:

Computer Manufacturer Elite Group(ECS)
Computer Model L7VMM2
CPU Manufacturer AuthenticAMD
CPU Family AMD Athlon™ XP 2400+
CPU Speed 1994 MHz
Front-Side Bus Speed 133MHz

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Hi there,

have a look here for the specifications of your motherboard (I'm not sure which version you have, but both versions use the same RAM).

As per the information you have already received, you need 184 pin PC-2100: DDR-SDRAM memory module specified to operate at 133 MHz using DDR-266 chips, 2.133 GByte/s bandwidth.

That's a load of techbabble but the main things to watch out for is DDR 266 (or PC-2100 - the former describes the type of chip on the RAM stick and the latter the stick itself).

The other thing is to make sure it is 184 pin (as opposed to 168 pins on SDR SDRAM, or, 240 pins on DDR-2) which says how many connection points it has to the slot it sits in.

As Keith pointed out, you also need to consider how much capacity you want to invest in. 256MB of RAM would be a minimum but I would firmly recommend 512MB. It will make your computer run a whole lot smoother than the 256MB module. Think of the smallish difference in price as being what you saved in not having a computershop charge you a ridiculous $39 for 5 minutes work.

In terms of prices, have a look at Newegg's cheap end offerings, but shop around for prices. I'm not sure where you are and what access to computer shops is like for you - I'm writing from New Zealand :whistling: .

Once you have bought your RAM stick/card/module you can download your motherboard manual here

Look at page 16, it has some very useful instructions on how to install RAM (often referred to as "memory").

IMPORTANT: Computers, motherboards and especially RAM cards don't like static electricity. If you can, unplug everything from your computer box and work on it on the kitchen bench or dinner table. Before you start always touch some large metal object to earth yourself - this removes any static charge you may be carrying. This precaution also applies to opening and handling your RAM card.

Let us know how we can be of further assistance.

Edited by digikiwi, 04 July 2006 - 05:14 AM.

dosu761

dosu761

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I ordered thru newegg and the price was $42. I first went to Crucial then Kingston then Newegg to be sure I was getting the right module. I purchased KVR266X64C25/512. I should receive it by Thurs, in the meantime, I will investigate in how to install it. Thanks so much

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
You're very welcome :help: ,

I don't know much about my computer. Just basically surfing on the net. I really would like to learn more but don't know where to begin.

You actually are learning right now :blink: . Reading about problems on the forum is one way you can learn about computers. Also, there are some great sites for learning how things work -
wikipedia

How stuff works

So when you come across a term (like RAM) you can check in there to find out a bit about it :whistling: .

Let us know how the RAM insertion goes or if you need further help :)

Edited by digikiwi, 04 July 2006 - 03:47 PM.

Advertisements

dosu761

dosu761

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Update, I did it! I'm so excited. Found instructions to install module and it worked on my first attempt. I was so nervous that I would screw something, but didn't. Everything's great. System is running so much better. I checked and now I have 608Mb of RAM but I think it should be 640. Oh well, it's ok. Thank you, thank you for all of your help. You saved me so much money and time and I also learned a few things along the way. You are listed as one of my favorites and probably one day will chat with you again. Once again, thank you so much.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have 32MB onboard graphics, that's where the other memory is being used

dosu761

dosu761

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
My system info states that I have eMachine T2241 with 96Mb of Ram. When in actuality, I have an eMachine T2341 with 128Mb of Ram. Don't understand why but on my hard drive it has T2341 and an eMachine technician also stated so.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is it showing 128MB in one place and 608 in another

dosu761

dosu761

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
When I first with geeks to go I had to find out exactly what amount of RAM I had. When I went to system info it said 96Mb of RAM, so then I try to find info on eMachine T2241 (which there is no T2241) that's when I find out I have T2341 which has 128Mb of RAM. So now with the new module I should have 640Mb of RAM, not 608Mb as system info is saying what I have. Am I right?