Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dell PSU - What is proprietary?

• Please log in to reply

chris73

chris73

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I'm getting so many mixed viewpoints from Google searches on this - I have 2 Dell's - a 4400 and a 4600 - both machines are solid, but need new video cards to be useful and the stock 250 watt PSUs don't cut it. I am in the process of building a new machine but I stopped after buying the case because of the new chips coming out soon. ANyhow, are these PSU's proprietary? Some people say YES others say NO. Even on the Dell forums I'm getting mixed results. I know about the aftermarket Dell approved PSU's http://www.pcpowerco....php?show=S41D2 but I'd rather spend less than $120 for the PSU on these older machines. Tiger Direct and New Egg have some great deals to fit my upgrade budget while saving enough for the new build. Anyhow, thanks for any input.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Heres a good article on the dell proprietary PS's. If you computer are newer than the year 2000 you don't have these PS's.

http://www.quepublis...i...qNum=4&rl=1

About halfway down is the dell part of the article. If you look at the pinout on your PSU you can tell whats different between standard and dell psu's when you compare to an aftermarket psu.

SRX660

chris73

chris73

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Heres a good article on the dell proprietary PS's. If you computer are newer than the year 2000 you don't have these PS's.

http://www.quepublis...i...qNum=4&rl=1

About halfway down is the dell part of the article. If you look at the pinout on your PSU you can tell whats different between standard and dell psu's when you compare to an aftermarket psu.

SRX660

So, if they are newer than 2000 they are standard ATX pinout PSU's?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
In theory, yes. Although Dell are known to change their mind on a whim so one has to be careful. According to the posted article, your 4400 is ATX standard so I would assume that the 4600 is as well. But do check the pinouts closely, as its very easy to blow the entire board up.

chris73

chris73

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

In theory, yes. Although Dell are known to change their mind on a whim so one has to be careful. According to the posted article, your 4400 is ATX standard so I would assume that the 4600 is as well. But do check the pinouts closely, as its very easy to blow the entire board up.

I suppose that would be a good excuse for the new Core Duo build. LOL! Sorry honey, the motherboard went. :whistling:

Although an Athlon 64FX would be killer when the prices drop as the new Intel's come out! Hmmmmmm.