Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

pc acting up

• Please log in to reply

hyeone

hyeone

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
ever since i put norton internet security 2006 on my pc, it has given me nothing but trouble. sometimes, it takes a really long time to shut down. booting up hasnt given me anything problems yet. honestly, im about to uninstall it. i had microsoft anit-spyware for a year and had no issues.
one of the problems i noticed was a file named "CCAPP.exe". that is a file that belongs to norton, but some sites say its a spyware too. that file usually stalls my pc when shutting down.

is anyone else have this problem?? or have any solutions??

hp m376n p4 2.6ghz
win xp mc
300gb hd
1gb ram

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Here's the thing, Norton is a very decent protector, but it takes up a lot of system resources. I also have the issue with CCAPP not always closing at shut down. I don't worry about it. If you choose to uninstall, good luck to you.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
To be quite honest having NIS installed period causes a computer to run like junk. What I suggest you do, which would speed up your computer alot is to uninstall NIS (basically everything related to Symantec (including LiveReg & LiveUpdate) in Add/Remove Programs). I would then suggest that you download AVG Antivirus Free Edition and Windows Defender. Both are great programs and both are free to use with frequent updates to the spyware and virus definitions. NIS is such a resource hog that it slows down computers alot.

If you are worried about not having a firewall, then I suggest you download either Sygate or Zone Alarm, both are free and are very good. You will be surprised on how much better your computer runs without NIS installed.

If you have any problems uninstalling Norton IS, please post that here and I will help you to get rid of it, if that is the course you decide to take.

Fenor

hyeone

hyeone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
appriciate the responces. ive heard of avg but never tried it. ill give it a shot.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
AVG is an antivirus program and Windows Defender is an antimalware program, so if you uninstall NIS, make sure you install BOTH of them to be completely protected. Both have real-time protection agents.

Fenor

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Also, as far as firewalls go, oth Sygate and Zone Alarm are close together, but you might find Zone Alwarm easier to use :whistling:

hyeone

hyeone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
i have windows defender right now. are you saying windows firewall isnt as effective as zone alarm?

hyeone

hyeone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
bump