Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gaming: Mac or pc?

• Please log in to reply

Mikeyboy86

Mikeyboy86

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey, I am considering switching to mac, for extream gaming purposes. I cant find any real anwsers from Dell or Mac reps so I am hoping to find a little bit more detailed anwsers from you guys.

In general what are the pros and cons for mac and windows computers?

For games, like, World of Warcraft, which would be a better choice to pick?

I am merely looking for the best GAMING computer i can get my hands on.
If anyone can tell me what the main diffrences in gameoing owuld be between a mac/windows, please tell me!

Advertisements

daniel_c

daniel_c

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
gaming puposes? mac has barly any games made for it..

hgalayda

hgalayda

• Pip
  • 2 posts
If there are only a couple games you want to play, look for mac versions of those games to make sure you'll be able to play the stuff you like. I'm a mac lover to the grave and I'd recommend that over windows any day of the week, but I will admit that you have to look a lot harder to find the stuff you want for mac. It's out there though. I know that there's a mac version of WOW.

The graphics and speed of a $700 mac will be just as good as those of a custom PC that you spend three times as much build. And you won't have to worry about viruses or spyware or any of that.

Definitely go for mac, but find your games first. (They're out there, you just have to look harder.)

Andyman111

Andyman111

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Go for the pc more games are built for it so there's room to grow your game collection.

ankush patel

ankush patel

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
hey, i personally have a mac, its great and everything but not for the games!

buy a windows, more choice.

ankush

Mikeyboy86

Mikeyboy86

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the anwsers guys and/or gals

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
For $700 you wont get a mac that can beat a PC for gaming, Gaming wise only real choice if you are serious about it is a windows machine, cheaper too mac games if they get ported from PC can take months or years to make the switch if ever. Its a real pain for mac people, MS have encouraged Gaming and its payed off as its THE gaming platform of choice.

If you want to build a system(best way to get a good gaming system) read up and head over to the system building forum and we can set you on the right track.

mark.ison

mark.ison

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Think about the upgrading... PC games need upgraded parts almost every 6 months to a year. Which ever you go for you are going to want this to be a simple process and i have to say that a PC would be a [bleep] of a lot easier. or get an Xbox 360 or wait for PS3. You wont find anything simpler for hardcore gaming than a console. No upgrades needed either!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You dont need upgrades every six months, you need to upgrade if you want things to play at max settings but they will continue to look like the games you have been playing up to that point much like a console it takes alot longer for games to become so far ahead to be unplayable. Hardcore gamers dont use consoles either, and sure you dont upgrade a console(you do actually, that bigger HD, the new HDDVD drive the wireless remotes they are upgrades but even ignoring that) you need to buy a new console every two or three years to keep up to date, and it still wont look as good as that new PC or even that 6 month old PC.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

The graphics and speed of a $700 mac will be just as good as those of a custom PC that you spend three times as much build. And you won't have to worry about viruses or spyware or any of that.

That was SERIOUSLY a joke, right?
:whistling:

$700 Mac, the company who charges $200 for an ipod nano? You can buy an entire pc from shops for around $700 and it will kill the mac.

Advertisements

ankush patel

ankush patel

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

$700 Mac, the company who charges $200 for an ipod nano? You can buy an entire pc from shops for around $700 and it will kill the mac.

no you cant, you can buy a basic 700 dollar computer 512 mb, basic specs. Plus, mac also no viruses, speed is great when running 512, and you can buy a good quality one for 1,500

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
No i have to disagree ankush for that kind of cash you can buy or build a better system than you can with buying a mac, and if you want no viruses there is always linux which is just as good as OSX if not better as its free and you can pick different distros to suit, and visually linux is great now.

You can argue alot of points for the macs but price aint one of them, they aint cheap and i doubt they ever will be.

for $700 youll get a mac mini and they arent fast or good value unless you allready have all your peripherals even then they are still expensive.

Edited by warriorscot, 21 July 2006 - 05:11 PM.

DAEDALESS

DAEDALESS

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Alright to help you answer your question, I Work with BOTH PC's and MACS:

:blink: Since more people own PC's there are more available softwere for PC's which results in BETTER software for PC's so if someone wished for the FASTEST and most ADVANCED computer in the world he/she would get a PC

:help: The MAC interface is alot more user friendly and in result more simple while in PC's you can dig much deeper into the heart of the computer ex. regedit, DOS, etc.. to make the most advanced changes

:) Also, since there are a LOT more PC users, and the PC sytem is a bit more complex, there have been less viruses and maleware madefor MACS and the SECURITY for MACS is BETTER

:woot: MACS generally cost more for the same specs as a P.C

:whistling: so overall, i would probably get a P.C they are jumt a bit more hardcore,

macs i recomend for the family's who don't know too much about computers and don't use it much because the security is better and it is easier to use,

PC's i recomend for poeople who want realy tough and fast computers and like to explore computers alot because you can build your own PC while you can't really build your own mac and when i say build i meen to use different parts. (Anyone can build a comouter if they know how)

w0lverine

w0lverine

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
this topic is age old, but its still amusing to watch people argue over which is better, Mac or PC.

DAEDALESS is right about everything, pretty much to the T.

I use PC's exclusively only because I enjoy being able to build my computers from scratch. With Mac's thats not really an option. That and I've used PC's ever since my parents first bought a 286 back in the early 90's.

I personally have no beef against Mac users, cept I believe that their overly protective of their computers. Apart from that, here's what someone else thinks about macs. CtrlAltDel Online

Sir Grand Funk

Sir Grand Funk

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

no you cant, you can buy a basic 700 dollar computer 512 mb, basic specs. Plus, mac also no viruses, speed is great when running 512, and you can buy a good quality one for 1,500

HAHAHAHA you zelous OS users. I use Multi-Platform, so I am on all of your sides. And anyways, in the gaming field, I bought my media center PC VERY CHEAP, about $900 and I have HL2, WOW, GTA, Loads of n64 roms and lots of local dvds.

I haven't even used half of my total disk space. My computer runs faster than it did when I bought it too. But that is only because I am an optimization expert. But whatever.

Macs: The accessablity is bad.. Although the user interface is much better than windows. Windows was made for the person who creates. Linux was made for 1337 people. Multi-Platform pwns all (that would be me).

Edited by Sir Grand Funk, 20 August 2006 - 05:09 AM.