Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

May Have A Worm, Virus Or Trojan Horse

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Ali24

Ali24

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi. I NEED <_<!!!
I initially purchased my computer with Norton Antivirus 2003 already on it. (I use this computer mainly for searching the internet). Recently, I noticed that my comp. was very slow and my screen saver was freezing, I had to use alt ctrl del. a lot to get out of frozen programs. This is when I decided to download SpyBot and deleted approx. 20 files from there. I went to open Norton to check if there were any problems, and under e-mail it said "error, urgent attention needed" and the auto protect button was also disabled (which I did not do). The window for Norton will not stay open for more than 10 seconds, and I cannot run Norton any other way, it keeps on closing the program. Now maybe I jumped the gun on this one, but I cleaned up my comp. as much as possible and ran all the free scans that I could. Then I uninstalled Norton, went to the store and picked up the brand new Norton System Works 2004 with the Firewall. After installation, I tried to open the program and I get the same problem, the program will not run for more than 10 seconds. I tried to call Symantec with this and they want to charge me $4.99 a minute or something ridiculous like that. I know that it is probably a virus or something, please let me know if you know of any virus that disables Norton and if or how I can fix it. :D
Thank you

Advertisements

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi Ali24
Welcome to geekstogo
What windows are you running? before you install the norton 2004 did you check for virus? do you know what your running you system at fat32 or ntfs?
<_<

Ali24

Ali24

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi. Thank you for the welcome.
I am running on Windows XP, and I ran the SpyBot a number of times before installing the new version of Norton. (Everything came up clean) I also ran the virus scan that came with the Norton Disc., and everything was clear. I do not know if my system is running at fat32 or ntfs. How do I find out?

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
hi
if you double click on my computer on your desktop then hight light your hard drive down in the lefthand side will be a box details it will tell you there. and could you please gave more info. on your system make model ram running ?
<_<

Ali24

Ali24

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Its a notebook, Compaq 2580 US with 512MB of DDR ram but I cannot find out about the hard drive until after 1pm (I need to get my laptop).

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Hi Ali24,

I suspect you may have a corrupted virus definition file.

First, please download HiJack This, save to your computer, and install. Run a scan, most of the files listed will be harmless and/or required so do not make any changes, just click on Save Log, copy it and post it back in this thread. Someone will review the log, and if there's a virus or trojan we'll be able to spot it.

If it comes up clean, we'll see what we can do to get Norton working again for you. <_<

Ali24

Ali24

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thank you. I will do that later on tonight. <_<

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
If its a nfts format for your hard drive try this uninstall nortons then go to this site and run there virus scan of the site click hereIt needs to be run on the system your install norton. If you can not make a internet connection or its fat 32 you need to make a emergency disk before you install norton on your system in your user's guide it will tell you how to do this.
<_<

Ali24

Ali24

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
OK
So, I think its nfts, if so, uninstall Norton then do the security check? I already entered in the product key for Norton, but I don't know if its registered, will it allow me to uninstall and re-install if I already entered in the product key? <_<

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Yes you should be able to reinstall norton with the same code I have it on all 3 of my computers using same code I have norton system works 2003
<_<

edited by admin: Of course, Tazz owns three copies of the software :D

Advertisements

Ali24

Ali24

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
OK good.. Thanks <_<

Ali24

Ali24

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok the worm is called W32/Whitebait.gen@mm. I don't know if there are any other files assoc. with this but the one I did find, winsytems.exe, I cannot remove. I tried to attach my log here, but it will not attach for some reason. I got the print out on how to remove, but I don't want to mess it up. Obviously spybot does not detect this worm and I cannot run Norton. Is there anywhere that I can go to remove this??? Please advise. Thanks

Ali24

Ali24

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
my log is 8.39kb I dont know why it will not post.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Ali24, please copy and paste the text of your log, not the actual log file.

You can find a quick start guide on using HijackThis in this post

Ali24

Ali24

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thank you so much for your help, but, something else has come up and I need to drop off my comp. to a professional this time. <_<
I will definitely recommend your site to anyone who has computer issues. I think you guys are the best!! :D

Thanks again.