Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ghosting hard disk

• Please log in to reply

okeee

okeee

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
How does ghosting hard disk work actually? I would like to make a copy of the hard disk, of the partition which has win xp installed. If I activate win xp, and then ghost the hard disk, is the ghost hard disk similar to a recovery cd from packard-bell, so win xp can be installed directly, without activating again?

Edited by okeee, 27 June 2006 - 01:02 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The definitive answer is here.

http://ghost.radified.com/

Read it carefully because there is a great deal of information there. Yes. it is like a recovery CD except everything you save to the ghost file is included. The programs you have cd's for and downloaded programs you have burnt to a cd i would not include in the ghost file. You can always add them after you install the ghost file. I use Ghost 2003 and it can span multiple cd's. I have not tried using my ghost with a dvd yet, but i am going to soon as i have another computer i need to do this with.

SRX660

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Which ghost hard disk program could I better use?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I like Acronis trueimage

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Do I have to install Acronis true image on another partition than the partition I want to make an image of?The partition I want to make an imago of is the boot partition, which has win xp installed?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
actually, no, you don't

Install Acronis on your drive, set up the scenario you wish, press apply (or is it start), and Acronis will reboot and create the image before windows loads

pretty slick

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Install Acronis on your drive,

is that installing acronis on a partition other than the partition win xp is on?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
no, you can install it on your OS partition

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I've read the acronis true image manual, there are so many programs and settings, I don't know what to chose. What I would like to do is: make an exact copy of the partition containing win xp, and put it on a cd. Then when I need that recovery cd, I would just put it in the dvd-drive and restore the partition and win xp from the recovery cd, like the way it was. How can I do this?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you should know that an exact copy is likely to large for a cd, or even dvd.

You should make the image to your harddrive, using the create image wizard, but split it into multiple sections (<650mb), and create a bootable emergency disk. Burn the images to cds and lable

Then, you boot from emergency disk, and restore from the CDs

Advertisements

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I see. When using the recovery cd's, does Acronis true image has to be installed, or can I use emergency disk and recovery CDs only?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the recovery cd is a version of acronis that is self booting without windows -- a linux version that boots from the cd and looks and behaves the same as the windows version.

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Should I install Acronis Startup Recovery Manager? It overwrites Master Boot Record with code, what does this mean? Could this be dangerous?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
up tp you

http://www.bleedined...onis_ti_05.html

There is some value in it, that it allows you to work without a recovery cd--but it is useless if the drive actually fails

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Ah I see, when installing Acronis Startup Recovery Manager, the image is written to a section, Acronis Secure Zone. When using recovery-cd only, Acronis Secure Zone is not used? Also, when using recovery-cd, no image is written on any partition at all?

so there is not a single recovery file written on any partition at all, the only utility you need is the recovery-cd?