Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

software for detecting damage system components

• Please log in to reply

okeee

okeee

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
The pc runs good, no sound or error. I did smell something burning, from the system-case, and I'm not sure where it came from. Is there any software that can detect any damage from all components: motherboard, videocard, memory, hard disks, cd-drivers, power supply?
I can't open pc-case due to garanty.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi okeee!

Download Speedfan, using the link in my signature (The download link is in the first line of the second paragraph), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the temperatures and voltages it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

Also, inside the program, click on the S.M.A.R.T. tab and then select your hard drive (or hard drives if you have more then one) from the pull down list and see how far the meters for FITNESS & PERFORMANCE are. Post back this information as well.

Fenor

Attached Thumbnails

• SpeedFanExample.JPG

Edited by Fenor, 27 June 2006 - 06:46 AM.

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I ran speedfan and these are the settings:

+3.3 V 3,30 V
+5 V 4,84 V
+12 V 12,22 V

temp 1 36 C
temp 2 40 C
temp 3 26 C
hd 1 41 C
hd 2 38 C
temp 1 40 C

when using smart, the 3 HD settings indicate fitness and performance from 94% to 98%

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
All those appear normal. Last thing for you to check is your memory. Download Memtest86 from HERE. It is a diagnostic tool that runs extensive tests on the memory/ram in your computer.

If that comes up with no errors, then I wouldn't really worry about the burning smell you smelled before, because nothing is damaged because of it and if did damage anything you would notice it by now.

Fenor

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
How should I test? Should I go to test configuration menu and chose 2) Test selection only?

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I tested test 0-9, and there were no errors. Is it sure that there is no damage at all at the memory components?

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Does anyone know this?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Unless you are having problems with your computer, then I would not worry about anything being damaged. Besides, you have already checked/tested everything and they are all working fine, so I would just let it be.

Fenor

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
thx for info