Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Code Reverting - Can't Save

• Please log in to reply

triunereni

triunereni

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

I'm having a problem with the website I am working on www.propertynow.com.au

The problem is that when I go into the Cpanel and edit the code, I check the website and whatever I have changed (colors,container widths etc) has changed. I then re-open the file to continue editing it (having just saved it) only to find that the file has reverted to it's original state. Even though this has happened the website still displays the changes until I have saved the file again.

I am working with a php script called Open Realty (www.open-realty.org). Have already asked on the support forums there but everyone is stumped. I have checked the error logs, no errors. Initially, I had suspected that maybe their was a problem with permissions but this is happening with files of various permissions.

Out of curiosity, I when into the Cpanel Filemanager of a site I finished building last week, www.simpsonproperty.com.au . I was using mostly the same settings as I am using for the current website and had been getting no errrors, however when I logged in today and changed the code, it reverted. This would lead me to suspect that there was a setting on my computer causing this problem but it's extremely unlikely that I have changed any settings in the last few days.

I'm completely at my wits end here and it doesn't help that I'm on a deadline with the site, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Below I have included some basic information on my site. Also, I would be willing to give temporary ftp access to someone via pm if they thought they could help.

Operating System: Linux
Apache Version: 1.3.36 (Unix)
Perl Version: 5.8.7
Php Version: 4.4.2
MySql: 4.1.19
Cpanel Build: 10.8.2-Release 119
Host: HostGator

Thanks,

Andrew.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Hi:

Reread your post several times and not clear on problem you're having. Am I to understand that when you view your site with your browser (wasn't mentioned) that you do not notice the changes you have made to a page after having saved the page within the CPanel's HTML Editor? Is it you don't notice this problem until you have viewed the page several times after saving it within the CPanel? Not clear on use of word reverted???

Just in case you are using your browser to view the page and not the CPanel's Preview utility, have you been clearing the browser's cache? Have you been running Disk Cleanup utility to clean all the temporary internet files and other files you no longer need? Unless a refresh is done after a page is saved for the browser to view, you will more than likely not see the changes. If reloading the page in the CPanel's Editor reloads the page before your corrections again, it may be the procedure used although it should reload your new updated page.

If your hosting service allows FTP access, I would recommend using a HTML Editor and a FTP program on your PC. You can correct/view more pages and get them the way you want before uploading the lot to your site all at once.

Ron

triunereni

triunereni

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Ron,

Sorry the unclearness. What I'm saying is that I save the php code that I have edited by clicking submit. (IN the Cpanel clicking submit saves then closes the file.

Then, if I view the website the change will appear there.

Then I re-open the file to continue editing. When I look at the code whatever I have changed has reverted back to what it was before I changed it. However the website does not reflect this.

For example; if the code in example.php was

<br> test <br>

and I opened the file and changed it to

<br> new test <br>

and clicked 'submit' 'new test' would appear on example page when I viewed it online.

But the next time I opened example.php to continue editing, the code would read;

<br> test <br>

triunereni

triunereni

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

Fixed the problem this morning, turns out it had nothing to do with the code and everything to do with our Internet Options. (Somebody got on my computer and changed the settings so that it was only calling up old pages)

Thanks for the help,

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Glad you got it solved and thank you for letting us know.

Ron