Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

disk boot faliure, insert system disk

• Please log in to reply

marknf316

marknf316

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
A couple months ago i upgraded a differant computer to xp home from windows 98se. everything had been working perfectly fine, and then i tried to install a digital camera. I downloaded the kodak software for my camera, and then as soon as i pluged in the camera through the usb, it froze. I reset the computer, and then i get the message "disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter." I know its not a problem with the usb ports because i had other things hooked up. have I lost all of my files? Is there any way to get windows back with all of my old files?

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Do you have the Windows XP CD that you used to install with? The computer has failed to start and requires a bootdisk to start. The Windows XP setup CD will act as that bootdisk.

marknf316

marknf316

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I do have the disk, but will i lose all of my files?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
First, have you unhooked the camera and it's cable? Some machines like to try to boot from external USB devices and will hang while looking at them during the boot. Ipods are particularly good at this, but I've run into machines that like cameras as boot devices, too.

marknf316

marknf316

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
wow...i feel very dumb :whistling: lol, all it took was unpluging the camera from the usb. thanks alot for your help though wannabe.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Glad we could help! :whistling:

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I must say, that's a genious solution! :whistling: Never would have thought of that :blink:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
mark...you may want to see if you can find the option to turn off "boot from usb" in your bios...that way this wont happen again?