Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I have a Question.

• Please log in to reply

quills

quills

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Okay, I'm just full of questions today. But I thought since I was here, I'd ask the experts to get some opinions and answers.

Both of my comps run Windows XP. One has a printer, the other doesn't. I was wondering if it would be practical to network them. Are there any security issues? On mine, I don't have the blocks on the stuff I don't want the kids to see, but the kids have the printer for school. Would networking give them acess to my stuff? Can I use their printer with my computer in the next room? I'm not sure how that all works so some info would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much for any advice you might have.

-Q

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
With networking all of this would be possible. As far as security goes, it varys. Will you be using wired or wireless networking? Also, your files should be safe unless you store items in the shared folder and host it.

quills

quills

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well, I have wireless internet through my computer to the kids comp. I'm not sure if you have to do anything else or what has to be done to access shared files and the printer. :whistling: I'll have to poke around some more.

This is the first time I've ever tried to do anything like this.

Thanks.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
If you already have a network going then sharing printers is easy. Go to the kids' computer and click on Start -> Control Panel. Click on Printers and other hardware. Click on Printers and faxes. Next, click on add a printer. In the window that displays, click on next, and you will see a selection of local printer or networked printer. Put the bullet point next to networked printer and click next. The option that says "browse for a printer" should be selected. Click on next. You will now see a somewhat confusing map. Just find the printer you want to share. Double click on the little computer icon to expand and see the options. If the parent's computer has the printer connected by cable, then you want to double click on that computer's name to expand the options and find the printer. After you select the printer, click on next. The setup will guide you through teh rest. All you have to do once the printer is installed is set it as the default printer for the kids. You probably still have that window that Says Printers and faxes open, right? Just right-click on the printer, and click on set as default printer. Run a quick test to make sure everything works. That's it! :whistling:

quills

quills

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks so much,Stormknight6. You're a wonder. :whistling:

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
You're very welcome. We hope you'll come back to see us if you have any more questions :whistling: