Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Usb Ports

• Please log in to reply

burger42

burger42

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Usb ports will not recognize any usb device that is plugged in, however there are no error messages in device manager and ther are no conflicts under properties. Running Windows XP Home edition

Thanks

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
in device manager, select each usb device and choose uninstall...reboot

windows will redetect and hopefully things will work after that

burger42

burger42

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the reply buy I have already tried that one, actually I probably have tried every fix that Microsoft suggested and I have ran a full repair on XP home

Thanks again

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
have you tried these devices on a second PC?

Have you tried attaching these devices to a powered usb hub connected to the machine?

This goes much smoother if you tell us what you have tried, and then we try to come up with things you have not tried.

burger42

burger42

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes I have tried all of the above, I have just ghosted the drive and now running full format and install of Xp

Thanks for your time and trouble, I would have liked to come up with a solution before this but am running out of time

Thank-You

burger42

burger42

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Found after installing Xp that it is a hardware problem even tho windows assured me no problems, no conflicts with usb ports and they reinstalled with no errors.

Gotta love it don't you?

Thanks

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Yes, you have discovered for yourself that XP has a severe problem in losing USB ports. No fix usually works except for reinstalling the OS. Nice, huh ? Apparently MS can't even fix it.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Burger, does this mean the ports still do not work after a fresh install?

burger42

burger42

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes the ports still do not work, I have swapped it for another board that is similar and solved the immediadte problem. I have a test machine which I installed the problem board and will work on it when I have more time

Thanks Everyone