Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

new acer computer?

• Please log in to reply

cntrygrl

cntrygrl

• Pip
  • 2 posts
after nine years, finally taking the plunge and buying a new computer (no kidding). acer ast135-u-s3104 has been recommended. any experience? any other suggestions? just for home use; word processing and basic internet, occasional games but few.

many thanks.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
http://www.cdw.com/s..._ast135-u-s3104 that acer?
i've had no experience with their desktops but i've got a few acer LT's here at work and they are good...very good for the price...and if you get the added warranties they're deffinitely worth it...i'm of the school of thought that...for basic home use (word processing, internet, a few games here and there)...the price is the most impotant factor...if the configuration listed above is what you're getting...i think you'll be happy with it...it should suit your needs for the next few years (heck...i've got a 6 year old dell with 256 Ram a 40 gig hd and a 667 pIII {i think it's a pIII....} at the house...and it works fine for what little i do at home)

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I hate having a contradicting response to what a more experienced individual has to say, but I have worked on a few Acer computers (actually, laptops) before, and they have been nothing but trouble. Things like batteries going deal (beyond recharge) in not even a year with limited use, AC adapters going dead, that kind of thing. I can't say anything about their desktops, although I get the feeling this is a situation similar to Dell's... The Dell desktops seem quite stable, but yet their laptops are wimpy...

cntrygrl

cntrygrl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
that would be the one. i am using an old dell too but it crashed a few days ago and i can't get the printer and scanner to reinstall without crashing it again. for what i'd have to deal with to uninstall/reinstall windows and then see if it works, i'd rather upgrade a bit (probably more than a bit) and know my components will be supported.

thanks and i will check into the extended warranties as well.

sk - i have heard the same thing that's why i'm leaning toward keeping to the desktop.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
storm...never worry about contradicting someone here...as long as you're correct...or have info to back up your statements...we all have different experience and points of view...that's what makes this place effective...

i've heard of the issues with the acer LT's as well...but personally have not had a single one rear it's head...i may be lucky...but so far i've done well with their LT's....as stated..no experience with their desktops...but...IN GENERAL desktops have less problems than laptops...

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I bought my wife a Acer pentium 3-550 computer new when they came out. She was so happy with that computer that it took almost 3 years to convince her she needed a new one. I finally got to build her a intel P4 - 2.4 on a foxconn MB puter to replace it. Never had a lick of problems with that computer. I in the meantime went thru 4 computers. A athlon slot A 650, athlon 900 socket A, Intel P4 1.8 and a athlon barton 2600. I just cant keep my hands out of the case so im always upgrading them until its time to start anew.

SRX660