Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot Move or Delete Directories

• Please log in to reply

stlbud

stlbud

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I think this started when I installed the Bloody Microsoft Search Toolbar. Frequently, when I try to move or delete a directory I get a message pop-up "Cannot delete directory: It is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again."

I've since uninstalled the Microsoft Search Toolbar but it hasn't helped. I've no idea what program may be putting a lock on these directories. I can't delete it even if the directory is empty. If I reboot, I can sometimes remove the offending folder. Something keeps setting the Read Only flag in the permissions. I clear it and it comes right back.

:whistling: This is maddening. I can't keep track of what directories actually have something in them or not. :blink:

Thanks to any and all who may be able to help.

Bill B.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Do you have any other toolbars installed? Any search/indexing programs like Google Desktop Search?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Try Unlocker.

Ron

stlbud

stlbud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Try Unlocker.

Ron

Thanks to you and others who have responded to my plea.

Unlocker shows 2 Explorers are in control of the directory. How did that happen. I only have one explorer window open and it is showing the folder not the contents. Where is/are the other Explorer(s)??? :whistling:

Bill B.

stlbud

stlbud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ulocker is working very well.

Thanks again,

Bill B

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Sorry for lateness in getting back to you. Glad Unlocker did the trick for you. Explorer.exe is just a shell and can have more than one instance of it running. Thanks for posting back.

Ron

stlbud

stlbud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks for your help. I'm just curious why Explorer is so persistent in holding on to the directory? Some of them had 4 instances of Explorer claiming control of the directory. I wonder why it isn't releasing the directory properly.

Bill B.