Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

gagp30kx.sys hanging on boot

• Please log in to reply

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
mup.sys always takes a long while....are you certain that you're just not being impatient?

Advertisements

Kelby

Kelby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Sorry. I was pulled away frm this for a while. I was able to get into the system recovery, which said that it completed successfully, but on reboot, the system hangs after gagp30kx.sys comes on the screen. Won't boot straight into xp, safe mode, recovery, or from cd. Hangs every time again. Looks like I'm back to where I started.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
thought we renamed that file?

Kelby

Kelby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yup. We did, but it wouldn't boot after that either. I'm beginning to wonder if this thing is recoverable. Thanks for getting back to me.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
were you ever able to load into safe mode with command prompt?

Kelby

Kelby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Nope. No matter how I try to get in, it always hangs, seemingly at the same place each time.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
i think your only real option is a system restore then, sorry

Kelby

Kelby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thats what I've been thinking, but I can't even get the thing to boot from a cd. I've tried booting from an XP SP2, and an ISO image XP, but it hangs just like it does when booting from the hard drive.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
clean your cd-rom with a cd cleaner

Kelby

Kelby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
No help.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you have two computers,,,pull the cd-rom from one and place it in the other

macdonaldf

macdonaldf

• Pip
  • 1 posts
gerryf,

I see that this topic has stopped, which kills me.. since my friends/wife’s Acer laptop is doing the same thing. I have tried using the recover console to rename the gagp30kx.sys file with success. Upon reboot the system appears to hang at Mup .. and then.. it just reboots. At no time whether it be safe mode, or normal can I get this thing into windows. Was this problem ever resolved with Kelby?

TixPix

TixPix

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I had this same trouble yesterday, while I was trying to partition and format from my computer a failing hard drive that I connected as slave.
I boot with verbose turned on, and noticed that the boot process froze while at "gag30kx.sys".
I then tried to boot in safe mode and recovery console with no sucess.
As my system seemed to be doing well before I connected the bad HDD, I unplugged it and everything went OK.
What pisses me off is that how WinXP froze because of a slave drive!!
...and worse of it: it won't tell you is because of that bad slave drive!!
Anyhoo, I booted from my BartPE CD and made a disk check and found out (or "CONFIRMED") that the hard drive was in a very bad condition.
Hope this helps.
By the way: Hard drives can get damaged (even if new) after a cabinet hit or sudden movement _while turned on_.

rnp_01

rnp_01

• Pip
  • 1 posts
gerryf :whistling: :blink: :help: , a big thank you, using your advice i was able to get back into my system and backup months of work.

P.S. I only joined to thank you.

rcs2007

rcs2007

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:whistling: I have an HP PC frozen on boot of Windows and it stops at load of gagp30kx.sys. About a week ago, I had the same problem and the only option I had was to do a PC restore (all other options simply froze at the same spot), we went back to the original install sw releases and parameters. I had to pull many updates from multiple sites to get back to where I was. Unfortunately, the PC has frozen again with the same exact problem. I would like to be able to get past this problem without having to go through the restoration of the entire system. Do I have an option to do that or am I stuck doing another PC restore (if it lets me) ? Is it a simple matter of renaming this bad file (gagp30kx.sys) once I do a restore ? Is there a way to isolate the restore to fix / bypass the problem ? I would appreciate any help I can get as I have limited PC capabilities.