Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Booting in Safe mode

• Please log in to reply

Newbie_needs_help

Newbie_needs_help

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have windows xp service pack 2. I can't seem to figure out how to boot in safe mode. I searched on my computer and it tells me, to look for the shut down tab. I only have the turn of computer tab. it gives you no choices to go to safe mode. I have hit the F8 key the whole time and still nothing. Thanks in advance for you help.

Edited by Newbie_needs_help, 27 June 2006 - 10:08 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
to get into safe mode you tap the f8 key during bootup....are you saying that by doing this you cannot get in to safe mode? if so...do you have a usb keyboard or a ps/2 keyboard?

Newbie_needs_help

Newbie_needs_help

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
That is what I'm saying. I would hit F8 from the time it shut down, until it restarted and went back to windows and nothing would happen. My keyboard has an key that says F lock. It is a microsoft, I'm don't mean to sound so stupid but i'm really new to this stuff. It has music buttons, email button, web, home, messenger.

I was asking this question because I got some programs that recommend that u do it in safe mode. I didn't know how to get into safe mode so did it normally. The programs still never got ride of my Virus and trojans. Didn't know if that would have something to do with it.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
restart the computer....as soon as you start seeing things on the screen...press the f-lock button (this will turn on the F keys)...now start pressing f8 once a second or so untill you get the menu to select safe mode (there should be a light that comes on when you press the flock....if that light turns off while you're booting...press the flock again and keep hitting the f8 key once a second..i hate the flock key...it's stupid)

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
try this .....Go Start....Then run......type in........ msconfg ...click ok......click on the boot tab put check in safe boot box....then restart youll go to safemode

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
DON"T TRY THAT YET....that is NOT the best way to get into safe mode...and you could end up getting yourself into a boot loop....let's try this the easy way first (this is a keyboard issue not a system issue...i'm willing to bet money on it)

Miguel1979

Miguel1979

• Pip
  • 2 posts
also if F8 doesnt work you may want to try and hit either the F1 or the ESC key those are the ones i use in my computer and it seems to work

Seamey. T

Seamey. T

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Hi,
I know I shouldn't be butting in to someone elses Thread but I am having the same problem as Newbie with the same setup,ie,wireless mouse&keyboard.
Followed "dsenette's" instructions but to no avail,still cannot get into "Safe Mode" so watching to see any other advice from "dsenette" or GTG Staff.
Once again,SORRY for butting in.

Seamey.T :whistling:

Problem resolved.

Searched the forums and found the answer in another thread.
Connected a ps/2keyboard and went into Bios and enabled "USB KEYBOARD SUPPORT" which done the job.

Edited by Seamey. T, 03 July 2006 - 05:08 AM.