Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Update woes

• Please log in to reply

happy-and-lost

happy-and-lost

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I had my laptop connected to my school network recently.

Fine, so I can log onto my user on this computer when at school and access the network there, and I can log onto this machine at home.

I still have full admin rights over the machine... but...

My IT tech did something with the group policy which means that I cannot use Windows/Microsoft Update unless I'm on the school network. This wouldn't really bother me, but the summer holidays are about to start and I don't like the idea of not updating Windows for 2 months.

Is there any way around this?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you need to talk to your school IT dude about that before you leave school...as it's not easy to know what he set...

though...if you are able to log on to the machine as a local administrator (instead of the network user) group policy will not apply to that user