Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Server, my gateways, my h***

• Please log in to reply

J'Tok

J'Tok

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have am running windows 2000 adv server as my domain server, and windows xp pro on my two desktops.
my server has two nics because i have multiple networks, and so i have multiple subnets (four, my subnet mask is 255.255.255.192 /26)

anyway, what i am trying to ask is if the following is even possible...
my router is on my first subnet and is set to 192.168.0.3. my server's first nic is 192.168.0.2, with a gateway of 192.168.0.3. my server's second nic is set to 192.168.0.129, with a gateway of 192.168.0.2.
one of my desktops is set by DCHP to 192.168.0.130 with a gateway of 192.168.0.129.

so, in theory, my desktop should access the internet by routing completely through the server like so:
it sends a request through its gateway (192.168.0.129) which is the servers second nic. the second nic then sends the request to its gateway (192.168.0.2) which is the first nic on the server. then that nic sends the request to the router (192.168.0.3) which then retrieves the desired information, and relays it back.
so far i can't get this to work. Will it even work?
if not, is there some other way i can route all internet requests through the server?

thanks,
-J'Tok

Advertisements

J'Tok

J'Tok

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i take it all back!
i finally figure out what was wrong. i need to create a static route from the second nic (192.168.0.192) to the first nic (192.168.0.2) on the server from the routing and remote access consul. :tazz: