Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to remove those stupid pushpins?

• Please log in to reply

kramerd1506

kramerd1506

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi all. I have an Asus motherboard (A8N-SLi Deluxe) on which the northbridge fan has failed. They all fail on these models, so I'm not surprised.

Asus sent me a replacement redesigned fan that I need to install. Opinions differ as to whether or not a fan is actually needed on the northbridge, since it does have a small heatsink on it anyway, which came with the factory fan. But, I'd like it on there, if only for warranty purposes.

Anyway, I have the replacement fan, and I need to get the old fan out. It has two black pushpins that go through the motherboard to secure it. I know how you are supposed to do it - disconnect every stinking plug on the board, pull all your cards, take out your drives, unscrew about 50 million riser screws, pull the motherboard out of the case and sqeeze the little [bleep]s out of the holes, and then put everything back in the exact same way it was. Turn it back on, and hope you did it right.

So, I don't want to do that. I want to get the pushpins out from the top, without removing the case. How do I do that? I'm thinking that I could grab the pins with pliars and twist them, or better yet, get a small pair of wire cutters or something similar and cut the pins in half. Then, the small rods that go through the board would simply fall out the bottom. Has anyone ever done something like that? Any other ideas?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You have to pull the whole motherboard out, because you have to squeeze the part of the pin that is showing on the underside of the motherboard in order to remove them. Sorry, but that is the only way to remove them without breaking them and/or causing damage to the motherboard itself.

Fenor