Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Audio Problems

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a pair of desktop speakers and a sub-woofer (built by Cyber Acoustics) that I bought at Comp USA maybe a year ago and a pair of SONY headphones bought at about the same time.

Two weeks ago, all of a sudden, the speakers don't produce sound anymore, but they show response when turned on and stuff, just without sound.
Also, the headphones plug into the side of one of the speakers and they still work so I know all the connections are still good. I tried using a troubleshooter from windows to see if they might know how to fix my problem, but that didn't offer anything useful...

SOMEONE HELP ME!!! I don't want to have to buy new speakers and I have no idea what is wrong with them!

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Have you made any changes to your system recently? Let's try a System Restoration... Click on Start -> All programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore. A window will now appear. Make sure that the "Restore my computer to an earlier time" option is selected, and click on next. You will now see a calandar. Select back to yesterday or the day before, and select a time. Click on next. Now, make sure the date and time are right, and click on finish. The computer will now restart. Hope this helps.

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Can you try plugging another source into your sound system (eg MP3 player if it takes 3.5mm plug)? It would be good to make sure that your speaker system is working fine before looking at the software. What do you mean they "show response" - LEDs or Graphic Equaliser, or a crackle when you turn them on etc? Try to be more specific if possible.

The fact that your headphones work off the speaker suggests that you are receiving a signal, but that it is not getting amplified. The headphones can run on a whisper of power. Not wanting to rain on your parade but it could be the amplifier in your speakers/sub. Hence let's eliminate that by proving another sound source works fine through this system.