Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Embarq DSL + Belkin Router

• Please log in to reply

Chexee

Chexee

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
We recently moved to DSL, and now I'm trying to set up the wireless network, but am having some real trouble. I have internet access when hooking up the computer directly to the DSL modem, but when connecting the modem to my Belkin 54g router and connecting to the network, I get nothing.

I've tried restarting the modem and the router but no go.

Anyone got a solution? :whistling:

Advertisements

MeowMeow

MeowMeow

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
is your belkin router, an adsl router or is it a broadband router?

Chexee

Chexee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
It was both. I figured it out, though. Turns out both the modem and router were set to the same local IP, (192.168.2.1) so I just changed the modem to 1.1

MeowMeow

MeowMeow

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
for an ADSL modem router, you will not need to use the USB modem that is provided by your ISP. unplug the usb modem from your computer and totally remove it.

then go to start->control panel-> network connection and check if you have any previous dial-up settings or the broadband settings in the page and delete them all. you will be left with your local area connection icon, wireless network connection icon and possibily 1394 connection icon. Make sure they r not under bridge as well.

use a LAN cable and connect your router to the computer (LAN1 port) and wait for it to aquire network address. Then log into the router and put in your username and password into the setup page. Make sure the VPI is 0 and the VCI is 38 and the encapsulation is PPPoA VC MuX. then the settings is all done for now.
run the diagnostic test if there is a build in one n check for failed tests

Chexee

Chexee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Thanks for the help, but I figured it out a while ago ..