Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

slave hard drives

• Please log in to reply

ajcool123

ajcool123

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
okay whatsup guys,

so my computer is setup with 2 cd/dvd drives but they are both on the secondary slave drives, not on the two primary drives. i know this doesn't matter much but how do i go about switching them so they are on primary master and primary slave? is that switching the power to it in the computer or can it be done through the bios?

thanks! :whistling:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi ajcool123...

You'll want to leave the Hard Drive as Primary Master or you'll have problems booting to the installed operating system.

As for the cd drives, any cd/dvd writers should be installed as a Secondary Master and the cd-roms as Slaves...either primary or secondary, though it would make sense to save the Primary Slave position open for an additional hard drive.

Drives are assigned their roles in the machine by the position the occupy on the IDE cable and the IDE channel they hold on the motherboard. The end cable position is Master...the center position is Slave. Whether they are Primary or Secondary depends on which IDE channel of the motherboard they are connected to...the Primary IDE channel connector is usually blue.

wannabe1

ajcool123

ajcool123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
okay cool thanks. ill take a look at this more in depth and post back with some clarifications :whistling: