Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Running XP Home and XP Pro Simultaneously

• Please log in to reply

Kathy D

Kathy D

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I recently purchase a new HP Media Center Desktop. HP7434n

The OS is XP Home with the Media Center software.

This sytem has plenty of memory ....2G and 200G harddrive with dual processors.

I need to load XP Pro so I may have networking capabilties via VPN back to my office.

I really do not want to install the XP Pro as the stand alone OS as it will uninstall the Media Center software.

I've been told that there is a way to "partiition" the harddrive and have 2 operating systems on one PC.

Is this true and if so....is it pretty hard to do?

Any help that can be offered would be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,

Kathy Delbridge

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Media Centre is basically XP Pro in a different skin so it should already support Virtual Private Networking.

However this isn't easy to find - what you need to do is to go to the Control Panel and open Network Connections and follow the New Connection Wizard. The option to do VPN is on the second screen, "connect to the network at my workplace". Select that and follow through.

Kathy D

Kathy D

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neil,

Thanks for the response....I will most certainly try that first to see if it works.

So...even though the PC comes with XP Home Edition w/ Media Center, it still has a lot of the same functionality of XP Pro?

Thanks,

Kathy

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
XP Home supports Virtual Private Networking as well.
The diferences between XP Home and XP Pro and Media Center (aside from the names) is that Pro is more business orientated and Media Center is Microsoft's attempt to take over your front room :whistling: